Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start tearing down my Unlimited in preparation for a ford hp60 and a 14 bolt, 3 linking the front, Triangulated 4 link rear and 42" TSL's. Still up in the air about tires. (trying to keep COG as low as possible and maximize ground clearance at the same time.)

My question is what are some experiences on axle brackets. I have been looking at Ballistic Fab, Polyperformance, Rubicon Express, and Clayton Offroad.

Just trying to get a feel for what everyone thinks and likes the best. I really like alot of the Ballistic Fab. stuff, anyways, who runs any of above mentioned company's products and likes and dislikes about it.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I have the Polyperformance brackets and they are top notch. I have no experience with any other maker you listed so not sure how they compare.

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
i have bought brackets from Polyperfomance/Ballisticfab/Ruffstuff specialties. All of them were top notch, and very pleasant companies to deal with.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have a combination of ruffstuff/ clayton/ stock coil buckets off a tj and some RE upper arm front brackets .

ruffstuff/claytons brackets are top notch.
RE's are very generic, but not bad. if your options are limited.
ive seen claytons high clearance brackets on alot of rigs and i must say they are in my oppinon the best option for a wrangler if your lookin to buy a kit.
only problem is that you need to weld to the pumpkin on the front axle. However he told me his technique for doing this, and verified hes never had one break..
i think ballistics brackets are cool, very creative. and good prices

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am making alot of my own brackets for the front axle. If you aren't going to be stretching the front, remember the coils springs will need to be sitting in the front of your axle tubes a little bit instead of directly over the top. So for spring pads, I would suggest RE's if you are buying individual brackets because I don't think you can buy parts of claytons kit. The rest of your tabs, truss (for your driverside upper mount) and tracket bar bracket can be bought individually at any of the above mentioned places.

Did you end up going with new 60 front instead of trussing over the other one you had?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am making alot of my own brackets for the front axle. If you aren't going to be stretching the front, remember the coils springs will need to be sitting in the front of your axle tubes a little bit instead of directly over the top. So for spring pads, I would suggest RE's if you are buying individual brackets because I don't think you can buy parts of claytons kit. The rest of your tabs, truss (for your driverside upper mount) and tracket bar bracket can be bought individually at any of the above mentioned places.

Did you end up going with new 60 front instead of trussing over the other one you had?
Yeah, I talked with a few of the local shops and some friends that build some really hardcore rigs out of Hot Springs, AR and we all decided I would more that likely run into some major bumpsteer/wandering problems. I found a killer deal here locally for a 79 ford hp 60 front and 14 bolt combo. Both are stuffed with 4.88 gears, rear has a Detroit, front has an ARB and 35 spline inner and outters, and new CTM's. Already been sand blasted (no paint yet) All for $650.00. :D :D :flipoff2: I really couldn't believe someone was letting them go so cheap, but when I went to look at them, sure enough. Sooooooo, needlessly to say, I had the guy ride to the bank w/me and give him right then and there. From what I gathered he built them and decided to run rocks and 47" LTB's on his buggy project.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I found a killer deal here locally for a 79 ford hp 60 front and 14 bolt combo. Both are stuffed with 4.88 gears, rear has a Detroit, front has an ARB and 35 spline inner and outters, and new CTM's. Already been sand blasted (no paint yet) All for $650.00. :D :D :flipoff2:

DAMN. :eek: I wish I could come across a deal like that. I paid more than that for my stock rust bucket 79 ford hp60. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah all I can say is pure luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll never come across that again in my life. I still have to do high steer, new tie rods, drag link, rear disk conversion, and install all the new stuff. Well worth it though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey tweeba99, where do you live in Mississippi?????? I love that state,:D :D was stationed in Gulfport for 5 yrs. and also lived in Hernando for a couple years before that. Sure had a good time, (until Katrina hit) and then it was kinda miserable.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I run Clayton high clearance brackets front and rear and they are excellent, in my opinion. Clayton is all of 10 minutes from where I live so I just dropped the axle off to them to do the install. The brackets are very strong and 1/4" (if I recall correctly), and the upper control arm mounts are 1/2" or more. I like how they come with poly lower spring retainers too. Keeps me from worrying about my spring popping out on a trail or RTI. One thing that is different than some other companys are that Claytons come disassembled, so you have to put the pieces together to make the bracket and install it. I suppose its stronger that way than having a piece of stamped metal or something. They can be kinda pricey compared to others, but the track bar bracket and axle brackets are top notch I feel.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey tweeba99, where do you live in Mississippi?????? I love that state,:D :D was stationed in Gulfport for 5 yrs. and also lived in Hernando for a couple years before that. Sure had a good time, (until Katrina hit) and then it was kinda miserable.
I live right outside jackson, ms. I have family close to gulfport.
We probably ride in similar places if you go to hot springs. We ride in HS, greyrock, morris mountain and tellico.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here are a few pics of them. Dont mind the mess. Im working on the regear and Detroit install:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live right outside jackson, ms. I have family close to gulfport.
We probably ride in similar places if you go to hot springs. We ride in HS, greyrock, morris mountain and tellico.
Yep, I was born and raised on Millcreek road in Hot Springs. I used to deer hunt and ride those trails on four-wheelers before they started doing the Jeep Jamborees a long time ago, before the park was even thought of. I also finally made to Tellico this year for the first time, friggin' sweet. You ever thought of a Rausch Creek or if Paragon wins their case trip????? Some really good wheelin' there. I want to do a greyrock or morris mountain trip too, just will depend on time and money...... Also, Crozet, VA is pretty hardcore as well as Big Dogs in Winchester, VA. It would be a pretty long trip for you though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I run Clayton high clearance brackets front and rear and they are excellent, in my opinion. Clayton is all of 10 minutes from where I live so I just dropped the axle off to them to do the install. The brackets are very strong and 1/4" (if I recall correctly), and the upper control arm mounts are 1/2" or more. I like how they come with poly lower spring retainers too. Keeps me from worrying about my spring popping out on a trail or RTI. One thing that is different than some other companys are that Claytons come disassembled, so you have to put the pieces together to make the bracket and install it. I suppose its stronger that way than having a piece of stamped metal or something. They can be kinda pricey compared to others, but the track bar bracket and axle brackets are top notch I feel.
I do like the Clayton kit as well. So many choices.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, the housing was modified. Bascially, part of the housing that the axle tube goes into was cut to clear the brackets and then the tube was welded to the housing. The upper mount is actually where the vent tube was, so I drilled and relocated that. The good thing is now I can sell that axle because it will directly bolt in to any XJ, TJ, ZJ, or YJ with the Clayton set up.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Swapping 60/14B into my TJ, ordered all my brackets from Ballistic...Havent run em, just tacked into place right now but I think they are great for the price.

Better then I can do with a 4.5" grinder.

·
Registered
530 Posts
nice find lockedupLJ, I have been looking for a front 60 for a long time now, got tired of looking so I am picking up a 44 tomoro from NC, it will hold me over until I can build up a 609. (going big I might as well go all out right??)

as far as bracket experience, I have gotten alot of stuff from Ruffstuff, his brackets and all are very top notch and since he is a vender on here I have no problem at all shooting him money for his stuff. I just wish I had the cash to link my toy.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Swapping 60/14B into my TJ, ordered all my brackets from Ballistic...Havent run em, just tacked into place right now but I think they are great for the price.

Better then I can do with a 4.5" grinder.
Which brackets did you get from them????? Got any picks of yours tacked on yet???? I like their coil/link/shock mount combo. I think if I could get everything mounted on one bracket it would be a much cleaner install. Plus their prices kill everyone else.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts