Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.....suited up long before i hit the keyboard to put this up. Some info on what I am attempting is building a trail/rock rig for the NW scene and wanted something different.
I picked up a 92 Chev Tracker 2d soft top and pitched everything but the shell.
I also have a 4.3 Vortec (planning on Propane) w/ a TH350/205 (may end up with a Atlas I found local for sale). It will be linked on air shocks rolling 38.5's.
I have already bent up the new frame w/ 1.75 DOM and before i go any further I need to decide on axles - Here is where I am looking for opinions.
I have a line on a complete (salvage) 95 FJZ80 i can pick up for $1100, or i can get a front/rear 85' mini with a 5spd and 2ea 21 spline T cases for $300. I cant tell by VIN if the 80 is E locked or not so its a mystery, but lets assume its not.
With my tube chassis, the rear 80 offset i dont think is an issue as i have no gas tank or the like in the way.
So question is, as a starter, which way do i go all things considered... Cost, cost to upgrade, strength, ect. I know the 80s from what i have read will handle the tires under non extreme conditions, where the mini's need immediate upgrade?
I want to put it together as describe and drive, with upgrades coming in time or as parts break, not $20k right up front.
Cheers

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Id run with the 80 stuff, the rear is a 9.5 and the front is an 8 ( same as mini ) but you get larger birfs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've been leaning 80's the whole time while looking for parts but Im looking for the experienced person(s) points of view..... keep um coming

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It sounds like your rig will be fairly light weight. The 4.3 isn't going to blow up the drive train.

Run the 80 stuff. Upgrade if/when you start breaking stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brought the whole 80 home late last night. Was able to get the front out and pulled motor/trans/tcase. Think I'll try to craigslist motor stuff.
I think the front housing is bent.... looking for good pics off net to visually check. Need a good side view shot.... I think the housing is bent back towards firewall.
Thanks f it is is it fixable.....��

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Was the vehicle in DS front end collision?

Housings come up for sale once in a while. You should look over on 'Mud too. You could post a wanted there also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was DS, but not front head on, and by looking at the sheet metal, the damage did not appear that bad.....plus the 4 hour one way trip made it tough not to buy it.
Is it able to be straightened enough for off road driving? everything turns (hard to turn, but turns)

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Sure, need some I beam, 40 ton jack, some chain and heat. An alignment bar would help. If you're going through the effort, you may as well make it right.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Both sides look bent to me . If your investing in an allingnment bar , consider the time you will have in straightening it. Maybe get a ruff stuff housing or diamond or don't buy the bar and put it towards them welding your knuckle balls on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im definitely not hurt in the purchase, especially if i can sell the motor/trans/tcase. Fab housing would be nice......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have not made much progress in putting stuff together, but i have made some forward movement....
-bought a new empty housing
-got a propane set up (need a tank)
-ordered the edelbrock intake
-got full hydro steering purchased minus the pump (researching what to get, i used a dual return saginaw on my Bronco for the hydro boost which im runnning on this but not sure if it can maintain both breaking and full hydro steering)
-received an assortment of link brackets and bushed DOM sleeves for motor mounts

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I like the PSC 1405 I think it was. has a can on pump and you use a remote res which increases overall capacity. You can use a remote res. that has multiple return ports. The can on the pump is kinda like the ole ham cans but smaller. The 1400 PSC pump is the same but yields a higher pressure so may be more appropriate with full hydro. The 1400 is like 1625 and the 1405 is 1300 ish for pressure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts