Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is partially a pic/idea request, but will end with my own table build :smokin:.

The idea here, I'm going to be building a rolling fab table with particular items focused on axle fabrication and gearing. I'm thinking something 2' deep or less, 4-5' wide. I'm going to build some tubes into the top of which will hold some jack stands I can clamp an axle into to hold it off the bench. I'm figuring I'll have the knuckles or spindles hanging over the edge of the table, I'll make a clip on pan to catch parts, oil and grease. One of the sides will hold most of my regearing tools, I'm contemplating hanging grinders off it, and having some brackets around for axle builds.

I'm pretty much thinking out loud at this point, but has anyone made a fab table for axle stuff?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this build. I don't have room for a separate table just for axles. I have 3 sets of axle stands and work from them with all my tools, etc on my normal fab table that also holds my vice, bender, etc . My new place is bigger so when I move in I'll have the room for a dedicated axle table. Post up your pics please.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
This is what my blanchard ground gang drill table will be used for. Basically a precision ground table for Jig & Fixturing & tooling. I still need to finish drilling & tapping all the 1/2-13 threaded holes. I bought it from one of the machine shops I used to work at. It was a 1969 model Powermatic 4 head gang drill. Paid $75 bucks for it. This is like 15 years ago when I bought it. Back then I checked price on the table top and they were over $1600 alone. I love the coolent traugh around the table. It's great for holding tools, nuts & bolts, whatever. Measures about 5' 6" L X 24" W. Weight I'm not exactly sure but it is one heavy SOB. I would say between 600 and 700 lbs. Deceivingly heavier then it looks. It's heavily ribbed underneath.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
:smokin: I'll double your money & get you a case of beer for that table.

My idea is a mixture of above. A beam jig, with multiple holes for clamps. 4 clamps for each tube size. Couple it with an alignment bar & build anything good enough for my junk. I'd thought a REAL heavy beam with a ground edge would be real slick too. Just waiting for a huge chunk of beam to fall in my lap. (figuratively :D)

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great input so far guys! I'll definately have an alignment bar with pucks for every bearing I use regularly. I've been around ruffstuff's shop and seen what you're talking about, but I'm thinking more of a flat topped table. Though I'll be using the torchmate to reinforce everything into some I beam styling. So far I think I'm close to pulling the trigger and starting the build. It's going to be one of those things I'll figure out the details as I go, helpes me take everything into account

·
Premium Member
379 Posts

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's not too shabby Mark! I like the concept alot, I'm just imagining it up at table height with a flat tabletop surface on top of your frame structure. I haven't decided if I want it narrow enough so knuckles and hubs hang over the sides. I think that would be really nice because I could fab up a bin or two that clip onto the side of the table to catch oil and parts in. Then I can just unclip the bin to dump it or store it.

I've got the amenities I want pretty much nailed, Monday I'll be grabbing the steel I need to build it all. Haven't figured out the shape of the stand yet, just going to wing it. I seem to work best that way :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Guy that rebuilds my transmissions has a table with a sloped trough on the back. Its made out of sheet metal, and it's about 2" deep on the one side, and about 8" deep on the other. It's about 4" wide. When he is done with the trans he just takes a squeegee and pushes all the oil in. At the end it dumps in a 5 gallon bucket. May want to do something like that instead of letting the knuckles hang off the edge.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the sloped idea with a trough, but I don't want the table to be somewhere around 70" wide to acommodate the full range of axles I'll be working on. I have had the idea of giving it some hinged extensions that can fold down when not in use, or I can pin them up in position and extend the width of the table out both sides when necessary.

Steel yard was closed today, Should have called before driving down there hah. I made the trip productive by hitting up a junk yard on the way back to get parts for my black WJ

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The build begins! The top is 1/4" plate, 24"x60". It will be heavily braced from the bottom, I'll have no worries about it. 1.5"x3" .120 wall legs. I need to get some more steel to add a few more peices, but so far so good.

You can faintly see the layout I drew on the ground

Here's what I've got so far. Almost tempted to leave the front of the U open for rolling access to underneath

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of the bars set in place, but nothing tack welded yet. Looking from the bottom

And here it sits now, everything tacked in place. I need to add a reinforcement across the rear posts to support the back of the table, then get into the tricky stuff :D

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I put solid tacks on everything, then put the top on it just to help picture things and actually use it a bit

Then put the blingin casters on. I welded 1/2" coupler nuts into the bottom tubes, then a coarse thread 1/2" bolt to the caster base plate. Instant adjustable casters :flipoff2:. Appx 33" bench height

And here's the first bit of real bling for the table. The additional crossmember is 16" back (out of a 24" deep table), and holds 2 peices of hitch stock at 23.5" center-center. This will acommodate everything from a dana 30 to a D60, Sterling or 14 bolt. The tube between the two peices of hitch stock is 2x3 .250 wall tube, I plan to be able to slide a hefty bottle jack under an axle clamped into the mounts and preload housings for truss welding, or possibly straighten housings (in my dreams heh).

It will be great for regearing, stripping axles and linking them

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
Looking good so far :beer:

For straightening housings you'll be better off with a piece of heavy beam setup with sliding adjustable jack stands, chains to bind the housing to the beam, and a hydraulic bottle jack.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys! Azzy, I don't realistically expect to be able to straighten housings unless I reinforce this table to an insane degree. I'll just prestress housings for truss welding to help counter the pull of welding.

David, I'm excited about the hitch tube. The best thing in your case, is you can always add it in later if you want to. I'm thinking about adding that mount to things like a bench grinder to drop into the hitch stock, or any other tool. I'm adding a few peices of hitch out the side as well to give me a spot to mount a hitch mounted vice (and be easliy removeable) and other accessories. This will be pretty all inclusive all said and done!

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cut the holes in the table top today. I started with a plasma, finished with a die grinder. We moved it over to the shop in two seperate peices so we didn't wreck ourselves trying to get it into the truck. I'll be finish welding the top on over there, as well as tackling the shelving on the sides, and build the first axle hehe.

*edit* apparently pictures aren't cool haha.

And now that my shit is moving over to the shop...I'm reclaiming the garage, starting with the incredibly yellow bench :flipoff2:

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time for an update. I've spent the last week rebuilding my black WJ, building some storage in the garage and taking some equipment over to the shop. I got back to it and stitch welded the top to the table, and have gotten to building my jackstands.

Here's what I've got going on. You can see the chain clamps I got to use for locking the axle in. Unfortunately they aren't going to be used on this rendition, but the next set I make will be able to use clamps. The beauty of just being able to swap the stands in and out of the hitch stock.

I drew the part files this morning and cut em.

Bolted them in. I'm using bolts everywhere just to make things easily interchangeable when I want different accessories. I'm going to make a hinged peice that will lock the tube in place with ability to lock it down pretty well.

Yes, I do have it misalined from the reinforcement crossmember, but if I want to apply serious pressure I'll have another set of these that hold the axle directly over the stands.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump for my favorite all around work table in the shop! It has worked out nicely for me :D

Pull the axle stands out if they're in the way, sooner or later I'll build more attatchments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts