Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a line on some axles (He needs an 8 lug front), and sent me a picture. He said it's a dana 44 from a chevy, but I don't recognize the outers. I'm not up date on the older stuff, but I was wondering if this was a 'closed knuckle' D44 I hear about. If so, what years would this have been on, and how bad are they?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like a Dana 44 from a mid 70's 3/4 ton Chevy, with lockout flanges instead of locking hubs. Looks just like the two I used to piece together to put in my truck.
Looks to be open knuckle, but you really need a picture from the back side of the rotors (looking from the pumpkin out).

Dean

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Standard pre '76-ish Chevy Dana 44, open knuckle (did they ever run closed knuckle with disks?) and those hubs are exteral style hubs, you can slap lockouts on them, or you can swap them for a pair of later model interal hubs, the eight lug external hubs take the same large bearing spindle as the later internal hubs used on Dana 44's and 10-bolts, everything else is the same, and as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with running the external eight-lug hubs, as long as you don't run those HUGE old vintage Spicer lockouts.

If you want to run drive slugs, I'd keep the externals, they are shorter than the internals with drive flanges on, and might solve some hub-issues the guys running Hummer wheels are having.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Oh yeah, and that axle has flat-top knuckles on it if you hadn't noticed, good score.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
looks familure. yup mid 70s mines a 76 flat top with slugs

keep the slugs you wont kill them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts