Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone ID this axle?
Its in a New Holland Hay Stack Wagon, but I am betting its from a larger truck of some sort.
We are trying to rebuild the brakes on it, we dont have a New Holland dealer that is local to us, the closest one wants ~$650 for shoes and a new cylinder for 1 side, cant get them for 3 weeks either.
Trying to ID this to source the parts from Napa or elsewhere, pretty much everything else on this thing is Ford from the 70's, so I am guessing this is too.

-Its red
-2 speed removable 3rd
-LH threads on LH lugs, RH thread on RH lugs

Best pics I can get for now, mice ate some wiring I need to fix to pull it down to the shop and take the brakes apart.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I can't help you ID that, if it was mine, I'd tear it down, writing down every number you can find, drum id and shoe width etc, load up parts and wander into the darkest dustiest Napa or similar parts place in town, walk thru the front door, straight thru and out the back door where the old-timers tell lies and smoke, that's the guy you need to see :laughing:

Worst case scenario is having them relined, maybe $150-200 for the pair, and piecing together a seal kit for the cylinder based on bore size.

·
blatant asshole
11,751 Posts
Sure looks like my gm 19"

There should be some marks of some kind on the top face of the 3rd.

Really could be a lot of things. Whether the brakes are specific to that axle, who the fuck knows.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't help you ID that, if it was mine, I'd tear it down, writing down every number you can find, drum id and shoe width etc, load up parts and wander into the darkest dustiest Napa or similar parts place in town, walk thru the front door, straight thru and out the back door where the old-timers tell lies and smoke, that's the guy you need to see :laughing:

Worst case scenario is having them relined, maybe $150-200 for the pair, and piecing together a seal kit for the cylinder based on bore size.

This is plan B, except the guys behind the counter at my Napa on know imports.
My problem is I dont have time to get back out to the farm to get the brakes apart in the next 3 weeks.
Doesnt leave me much time to get this thing driving and making hay.

I am hoping to get lucky here.

·
Wheeler
2,779 Posts

Personally I would rebuild the wheel cylinders and have the shoes rebonded/rebuilt .

But I bet if you walk into a truck repair shop they can find those shoes and wheel cylinders

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Go to the Kubota dealer between Elizabeth and Kiowa and talk to Ray at the parts counter. He worked at Potestio's for many years, including when they were the local Ford/New Holland dealer. If anyone knows that machine it's him. I have a NH stack wagon with the same axle and he's always been able to find parts.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I broke an axle or two in one of those rear ends back in my younger haying days, and IIRC it's an Eaton .
The smooth third does look eatonish. That was my first guess as well. OP, you'll need to find the id tags on it. They are there somewhere, probably painted over.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to the Kubota dealer between Elizabeth and Kiowa and talk to Ray at the parts counter. He worked at Potestio's for many years, including when they were the local Ford/New Holland dealer. If anyone knows that machine it's him. I have a NH stack wagon with the same axle and he's always been able to find parts.
Yea I know Ray well from when he worked at Potestio, and he is a friends grandfather. Just looking for an alternative to spending $1300 on brakes from NH.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Understood, the point being if anyone would know an alternative source it would be Ray. I can have brake shoes re-lined for a WWII P40 airplane, so there has to be that possibility for the stack wagon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts