Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in a bit of a quandry as to what I should do with my '88 Jeep comanche....
I'm changing out the entire drivetrain (sans 4.0). I'm going to put in a SM465, 203/205 doubler, and different axles. I currently have a Ford 8.8 laying around that I bought on a 1/2 price day whim. Today, I picked up a narrow Waggy front 44 (another 1/2 price whim). My question is this: 1.Try to adapt the 8.8 5 lug to Waggy 6 lug(not the big stupid alum. things). 2. Find a Passport/Rodeo 44(width?). 3. Or is there maybe Dodge/Chevy 44 hubs I can throw on the Waggy axle?(Yes, I know....universal wheels sadly).

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
you were told wrong. you didn't need to just copy and paste to a new thread in the non hardcore section.... instead you need to read every link in the jeep faq sticky at the top of the page. as for an avatar.... you cant untill you send your $20 to support the website you are asking for help from. then you can use the search feature to find all the info you can stand instead of being the latest non searching tard on the block
Really TRUST ME this is ALL in the faqs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guh....I was just trying to save a minute and spare myself the endless searching of garbage.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You can run Ford 5x5.5 hub/rotors on a Waggy 44 by either machining the stock spindles to fit the inner bearing, or else finding a GM/Chevy 44 spindle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ACTUAL INFO....but the rear would be Jeep/Ford 5x4.5.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Guh....I was just trying to save a minute and spare myself the endless searching of garbage.

Nothing personal but people just post up questions like this every day. A couple of time's a day. I was one of them when I first posted. THe more experieced guys get tired of answering the same questions 20 over and over and over. Spend 20 bucks and buy a star. Or search google and use "pirate4x4" in the search.

To answer your questions, there are a couple ways to get what you are looking for. If you have a 5x4.5 on the 8.8 (does not sound right but it might be) there is no way to adapt a Waggie 44 to that that I know of. I'm not an expert on 8.8's either but I think you can match that to the Waggie 44 but you will have to either redrill the axle for new studs (if you can) or swap in new shafts.

Do the R&P match? It might be eaiser and less expensive to find a set of matching axles. That is what I finally did.

But a Rodeo 44 can be picked up fairly cheep with disc's and 4.10's or so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I understand NOW that this site has been around a while and is full of information, and about 50,000 of the same question. My bad.

The 8.8 is out of an Exploder and has the same pattern as XJ's and whatnot. And the Waggy front axle is the 6 lug. Thought about the rear out of the Waggy, but I think it's either an offset 44 or AMC 20(no thanks). The Waggy ratio is 3.31 which is pretty useless, 8.8 is 3.73.

My thought was machining a 1/2" steel plate to adapt the rear small 5 to the 6 lug, but I haven't really looked to see if that even possible. Would be nice though, cus that would fix the narrow rear issue. Changing out the front 6 lug pattern sounds like a can of worms.

But after some thought, I think a Honda/Isuzu 44 would be the best, especially already having lower gears and discs(my 8.8 does not).

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had the same issue when I had the front 44 with the stock D35. I used a pair of Spidertrax adapters to make the rear 5x5.5 to match the front (want the spare to have the same bolt circle). The adapters are a bit over an inch thick, and on my TJ the widths were pretty even.

If you keep the stock Waggy steering you will need to ream out the Pitman arm to accept the larger TRE on the draglink. I did this and while it worked the turning radius was not great. Consider using the Waggy pitman arm instead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info.... I have seen the 5x5.5 adapters, and they aren't too fat, but my front 44 is a 6x5.5. Maybe drill my spare and run 6 and 5?? Haha.:laughing:

Will the Waggy pitman fit my MJ box? Even so, I have a drop pit, and I'm pretty sure I need to keep it. But, considering the 44 has the tie rod on top of the knuckles, and I can put my panhard anywhere I want, It may turn out ok without a drop pit.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have seen the 5x5.5 adapters, and they aren't too fat, but my front 44 is a 6x5.5
I use Ford 5x5.5 rotors and the modified spindles. The inner race portion of the spindle needs to be machined down slightly to fit the Ford bearings.

As far as the steering goes, the TJ Pitman arm was too short to turn the wheels to full lock. Since you have an MJ it may not be an issue.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The AMC 20 out of a Waggie is actually a fairly good axle. It comes standard with the one piece shafts. And the R&P is slightly larger than a D44. BUt it's still drums.

I think the Isuzu/Rodeo is the way you want to go. Disc in the rear and you can find 4.10's. I hear you might find a 4.56 standard but I never found one. I looked at this for my CJ because I could get one for $75.

If you do a little searching, you will find a few little differences between a standard D44 and the Isuzu D44. Make sure it's what you want in the long run.

Search in the Isusu section for lots of information on this axle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah ok...I don't really want to go as far as machining, the Isuzu axle is sounding better and better.

Ya, I've read up on the Isuzu axle and the differences, I think I can deal with them.

As far as the steering, I guess I'll find that out when I get the axle in...:emb2:
Thanks for the input guys.

So anybody want an Exploder 8.8??:grinpimp:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts