Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my D35 (94 YJ) is leaking oil out of the driverside tube where the tube is pressed into the diff. Is there anything that can be done? Is this description not specific enough? It feels like the previous owner tried to seal the leak with silicon or something. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jeremy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Originally posted by bullfrog:
<STRONG>It looks like my D35 (94 YJ) is leaking oil out of the driverside tube where the tube is pressed into the diff. Is there anything that can be done? Is this description not specific enough? It feels like the previous owner tried to seal the leak with silicon or something. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jeremy</STRONG>
Don't look at this as a problem - look at this as an opportunity to replace the POS D35 with something beefy. "Honey...ya know that oil puddle on the garage floor - the guys at the shop say it can't be fixed - I need a new axle". Perfect!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that was coming. I am planning to go fullsize in the future but I don't have the money to replace front and rear axles right now. And I'm not going to pay for a beefier axle the same width as stock if I am going wider later. O need to fix this axle as cheap as possible so I can save for the 60/60 or 60/14 bolt combo.

Jeremy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Originally posted by bullfrog:
<STRONG>I knew that was coming. I am planning to go fullsize in the future but I don't have the money to replace front and rear axles right now. And I'm not going to pay for a beefier axle the same width as stock if I am going wider later. O need to fix this axle as cheap as possible so I can save for the 60/60 or 60/14 bolt combo.

Jeremy</STRONG>

Sounds like you may have bent the tube at the pig - causing it to leak. How bad is the leak? If you're gonna replace it anyway, maybe you could just let it ride. Otherwise, you'd need to r&r the axle tube (at a shop that can do such things). Not sure how much it'd be, but my guess is it'd be more than the axle is worth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,517 Posts
You can probably get a d35 axle for $100-150 at most junk yards. If you have a stock gear ratio you should be able to find something that will just bolt in. It will be easier and cheaper then getting yours fixed. Keep the axle shafts from the bad axle as trail spares. Just my $.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Originally posted by DE Jeeper:
<STRONG>You can probably get a d35 axle for $100-150 at most junk yards. If you have a stock gear ratio you should be able to find something that will just bolt in. It will be easier and cheaper then getting yours fixed. Keep the axle shafts from the bad axle as trail spares. Just my $.02.</STRONG>
Actually - that's pretty good advise. D35's are cheap and plentiful.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top