Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Battle Masher
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats everyones feeling on this? I am trying to figure out whats going to be best for a comp/trail buggy. I have the room to mount it on the axle but wondering who is doing so and using their winchs for recoveries once and while? I would like to mount it on the axle to keep the weight pretty low and free up some room on my chassis. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Lots of us do it without issue but most of us are not doing a lot of recovery either- just pulling on the chassis and helping the car on the occasional bonus climb.

Have not seen it on a lot of trail rigs- but no problem considering it- usually the axle is stuck so I'd rather recover that and let the attached chassis follow it rather than pull on the chassis and stuff it all through the links etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
THere are two problems with it on the axle of a trail rig. first it will get a lot more abuse. it is unsprung so much more vibrations jolts ect. In addition any time you go through any water mud ect. the winch will be submerged, so if you are like me it will always be covered in mud, dirt, water, run through the sand, and any other trail issue that you could immagine. The combination of these factors will probably significantly shorten its life span.
the second problem is that once you are stuck you have to figure out a way to get to it. That's an issue when the mud is up to the hood and you get to go diving to see what you can find. then not only do you have to get the cable, but you also have to unlock and lock in the motor. you may be able to remote the cable to a fairlead on the bumper, but that may break suspension parts when using the force required to pull the vehicle which will also be compressing the suspension. ANd what if the cable gets bound up under 3 feet of mud. then you will really have a mess on your hands.
A final thought is that you may have a difficult time keeping the power and remote cables from wearing out or being broken or cut. for rock crawling it would be less likely than snaging on trees ect on the trail. just like an arb line, and we know how vulnerable those are on the trials. the problem with these is that if you do have one snag and it shorts you are liekly to have a fire which could be dangerous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts