Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would it cost to get a full size D60 or 14 bolt cut down from like 69" to something that will fit under a Jeep?

I don't have any tools to do this myself (wish I did), so basically I would find a junkyard D60 or 14 bolt and run on down to the local driveline shop to get things cut down to size.

What about the shafts??? Cut 'em too, go for new high strength, etc...???

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
ok here we go again. here is what i did. i got a cab and chassis (you know the trucks that come with no beds) dually rear 14bolt. they measure only 62" wide (standard 14bolt is 67" wide). boom you have big boy rearend that is a useable width for a jeep. well i then narrowed a chevy dana60 front to match. it only cost me alittle over $100 to narrow it myself and that includes sending my shafts off to have them cut down and resplined.

if you are not sure about the cab and chassis dually rears look under utility beds, wreckers, flat beds, box vans, motor homes, etc. not all of the different types of vehicles i listed will always have the narrow version so take your tape measure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey High5.Looking too do the same thing.I Hve the 14 bolt 67" and dana 60 already.Going too go look for a 62 inch 14 bolt.Was wondering about how you norrowed the front 60.Did you just take it off the long side of the axle or did you take both sides in.I'm guessing this way you don't have too outboard the spring sin front either.Thanks.Sorry for butting in.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
bigd, well my springs were already outboarded for the scout d44 i was running and the chevy 60 front bolted right in. i decided to leave my springs where they were and take 3 1/2" off each side to achieve the 62". if you havn't already outboarded you springs i'd leave them where they are and see if you can just cut down one side. i still think you'll have to cut both sides to make it and even 62" and leave your springs where they are but not sure. just do some measuring to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I just picked up a 14-bolt this weekend for my wrangler. It came out of a dually. It measures 62" and get this. The spring perches are in the exact same place as mine, (spring over that is). (40" apart). Basically a bolt in solution. Im still working on getting a 60 front

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: Rockbuggy ]

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
That is the same setup that I am going with. Just picked up the 62" 14 bolt with 4.56 gears in it. Have the front 60 just need to cut it down. I am going to shave the bottome of both cases to get the maximum ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
What are you guys using for wheels on the dually rear end?
Don't those things have monsterous brake drums and 8 lugs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.Going too go looking this weekend for 14 bolt.Going too regear both too 5.13.Should work out pretty good.I run 8 lug steel 15 inch rims with 4 inchs of backspacing on mine.The 15's will clear both the small brake and large brake 14 bolts.I did 44 8 lug rotors and calipers on the front too get them too clear.Want too get beadlocks this time around.with 38x14x15 tsl sx,or 37x13x15 boggers.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i run 38.5x14.50 sx's on rockcrawler 15x10 8lug rims. a single rear wheel will fit the dually rear. the lugs are longer though. no biggie but i swapper my lugs anyway because they were messed up.

·
Registered
34,860 Posts
Originally posted by wrangler40:
<STRONG>How much would it cost to get a full size D60 or 14 bolt cut down from like 69" to something that will fit under a Jeep?

I don't have any tools to do this myself (wish I did), so basically I would find a junkyard D60 or 14 bolt and run on down to the local driveline shop to get things cut down to size.

What about the shafts??? Cut 'em too, go for new high strength, etc...???</STRONG>
Try www.moserengineering.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts