Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site as a member, and I am building my 81 Scrambler finally!
Want to get some opinions on what axles and springs to go with, or if anyone knows of some great deals out there that I can take advantage of. Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
51 Posts
what do you want from it & what terain do you drive

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Search!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flipoff2: Put it in newbie!!!!!!!!!!:flipoff2: This ain't hardcore!!!!!!!!!!!:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Even in the non-hardcore forum this question is too vague to generate ANY worthwhile "tech" information .:shaking:

In all seriousness '81 Scrambler is a great Jeep . Factory extended wheelbase , ect. ... but ... describe ; your intended use , some insight to your budget , timeframe for the project , your fabrication ability (or lack thereof ) , parts connections (brother's wreckingyard / uncles's barn ect.) ... then ... it is entirely possible you could get a couple educated opinions that could save you tons of cash and grief . Mixed among the typical sadistic sarcasm that makes Pirate 4x4 what it is . :evil:

*please read* the stickied post near the top this section on hardcore guidelines.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,255 Posts
Mogs and coilovers. All the bad boys are doing it. :mr-t:

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Biggest help would be desired max tire size and usage. You could go anywhere form waggy D44 to D60's (rear C&C GM 14FF for cheap strength) and beyond.....Mogs, Rockwells, and etc.

·
Registered
327 Posts
pick up an old ford or chevy one ton or 3/4
swap everything
u would have to build engine mounts trany mounts prolly at least 3" lift springs for a soa swap then re configure the rear perches and spread the front springs cuz there narow
or u could bolt up old solid yoda axels, or portals, or just go all out over kill with rockwells
what are your plans for the project

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok my bad, I am still learning...

I have a salvage yard looking for an 03-04 Chevy 350 and tranny right now, and I planned on having advance adapters make the adapters for my transfer case. I am thinking about going with late 70's early 80's chevy D60's or maybe a Wagoneer set of axles. Just wanted to know what everyone thought.

Will use jeep as daily driver and wheel on the weekends. I'd like to run 36" swampers on it and the terrain would be rock, (southern california, and arizona)

I know Im no where near hardcore status, but I really really want to learn. Figured you guys would be the ones to talk to.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
With only 36" tires you could do very well with D44's, as many have without problems (79 and older Waggy F/R). Rear Ford 9", Explorer 8.8 are other good options to keep an eye open for. I know you say your swapping to V8, but what about gearing? That will dictate axle strength requirements as well....at least play into the equation. A GM 14b FF would be too much IMO....loss of ground clearance without a huge amount of shaving (ring gear included).....unless bigger tires will be in your future, then of course that changes the recipe.

·
Registered
327 Posts
if u do wanna go with d60s odler fords in the 70s came with a high pinon 60 in the front and they were higher spline count axels making them decently strong from the fatory, but the pumpkin was only on the driver side, may be an issue if u already have a pasanger side drop case

what kind of transfer case are u going to run a dana 30, 208/205 doubler, or an after market case like stag or atlas?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
This is a copy /paste from a post I made last week

REAR AXLES (from centerline to bottom)

Ford 8.8" 5 13/16" completely un-modified
GM 14b FF 6 3/8" mild shave (saving 14th bolt entirely)

for a net loss of 9/16" (of ground clearance at lowest point)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just looking on boyceequipment.com at the rebuilt dana 60 rear and 44 front, with 5.13's and a detroit in the rear. Probably going with that since I dont have any fabrication equipment, except for what my neighbor will let me borrow. Maybe 38's, check book willing.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,255 Posts
I was just looking on boyceequipment.com at the rebuilt dana 60 rear and 44 front, with 5.13's and a detroit in the rear. Probably going with that since I dont have any fabrication equipment, except for what my neighbor will let me borrow. Maybe 38's, check book willing.
I would not run a D44 with 38's and a healthy SBC....

:nuke:

Additionally, I think you would find better deals then Boyce, here on this board.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts

Additionally, I think you would find better deals then Boyce, here on this board.
x2

Check with some of the vendors or the for sale section.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts

I agree....he was just talking 36" max a few lines up when asked what tire size....

Maybe 38's, check book willing.
Hard to offer the correct advice when you keep changing your mind...Hmmph!

This is a copy /paste from a post I made last week

REAR AXLES (from centerline to bottom)

Ford 8.8" 5 13/16" completely un-modified
GM 14b FF 6 3/8" mild shave (saving 14th bolt entirely)

for a net loss of 9/16" (of ground clearance at lowest point)
True, but not all 14b FF are the same...the newer ones appear to have more of a trench digger look that the earlier ones. The exact mfg. dates I am not sure of....I am just going by a visual on them though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am definitely a flip-flopper. I just bought the Dana 44s from Mopar, and 39.5" Super Swampers from a friend on 17" wheels. I cant pass up a good deal. Might have to do some fender fab, but I think it should work.

I figured with the amount of tools I would have to buy, my experience level, and my lack of patience, it would be difficult to buy an older axle set and rebuild it. Or at least that was the excuse I gave my wife.

I will get some pictures on here of the project soon. Thanks for all the help.
Adam

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,255 Posts
I am definitely a flip-flopper. I just bought the Dana 44s from Mopar, and 39.5" Super Swampers from a friend on 17" wheels. I cant pass up a good deal. Might have to do some fender fab, but I think it should work.

I figured with the amount of tools I would have to buy, my experience level, and my lack of patience, it would be difficult to buy an older axle set and rebuild it. Or at least that was the excuse I gave my wife.

I will get some pictures on here of the project soon. Thanks for all the help.
Adam
Did you say Dana 44s (as in two?) and 39.5" swampers in the same sentence?

Is this a Mall Crawler?

Otherwise, they just won't hold.

Send the 44's back to Mopar. For the price you probably paid, you can get new 60's from one of the vendors here on Pirate.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Just to let you know...those exuces won't work here.......we've all already used 'em!

If you're going to run D44's AND 39.5's they'll hold....but, not for long. You've been warned.........:D

·
Registered
850 Posts
keep your diffs open and you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts