Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've coated my bumpers, tire carrier, rack, and control arms, so I know how to prep the steel and how the powdercoating process works. I'm going to powdercoat my rear axle, but I was wondering how I should stopper te ends and the pinion hole.
I can put the front cover on to stopper the front hole, so that'll be easy. But for the sides and pinion area, I'm stumped. I thought about using the old bearings and putting the shafts and pinion back in.
The problems I see with this is that there will still be "powdercoating" that may go through the bearings and get inside the axle. Also the portion of steel between the oil seal and the pinion bearing will be coated. I can't put an oil seal around the pinion because at 400 F, the rubber will melt. Also, the bearings might expand so much that they cause fractures inside the tube or worse yet, they might melt to the tube.
How have you guys preped the axles to be powdercoated?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was one of my first ideas. I just don't know if the heat being generated will cause the carbon-carbon bonds of the wood to break. If those bonds break, it may generate an exothermic reaction with the oxygen and the powder and "boom"!!!, there goes my axle, not to say the least. The wood could also be "burned"(such as art wood burning) to ash and change the chemical composition of the powder. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid about the "what if" and I should use a wood stopper.
Hopefully someone has the answer. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
946 Posts
We would use a seal or race driver alloy puck like in the KD or Lisle tool kits. Then use a pair of vise grips to hold the handle on the inside so it does not fall out. The ends can be capped with scrap tubing or wrapped in thermo wrap to cover them up. I dont know if you ever powder coated a housing before but it is best to cook it for awhile to bring all the grease to the surface and burn off all the impurities. The let it cool down...check it out....then powdercoat it.

:D

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you are taking this to a shop to have done they will mask it with some high temp 3M tape for you. The temp is way to hot for wood to live through.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
sk8zero said:
That was one of my first ideas. I just don't know if the heat being generated will cause the carbon-carbon bonds of the wood to break. If those bonds break, it may generate an exothermic reaction with the oxygen and the powder and "boom"!!!, there goes my axle, not to say the least. The wood could also be "burned"(such as art wood burning) to ash and change the chemical composition of the powder. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid about the "what if" and I should use a wood stopper.
Hopefully someone has the answer. Thanks for the suggestion.
Put down the pipe.......

Now, use whatever you want to plug up your orifaces while powder is being applied and remove your plugs before it goes into the oven.

·
Registered
508 Posts
sk8zero said:
How have you guys preped the axles to be powdercoated?
I took it to the powder coater and said coat this part and not this part. They masked it off and coated it.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
If I were you I wouln't coat your axle unless it's a show rig.......I worked for a guy whe pcoated his axles silver to match the cage and to his dismay as soon as he when wheelin' and scraped the diff or tube on anything he got chips coming off.....not extensive on one trip but as time went on it got worse and worse.....then instead of just touching up with paint you have to dismantle the whole thing and pay to have it redone

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had almost everything for my SAS powder coated, steering, shackles, u-bolt plates, knuckles... I threw the housng in there as well because there was a $150 minimum for the set-up and oven time. When it chips I'll rattle can over it. They bead blasted all of the rust and crap off it too, major bonus.

·
Registered
398 Posts
if youre going to get as far into it as powder coating, just do this:

:D:D:D:D:D:D

haha, yeah right

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
sure.. you can chrome any thing.. hell they even flash chrome plastic...

i realy like the chrome lift block.. that says class all the way..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts