Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
With the 100qt grade material I'm using for all this truss work, one important thing when working with this plate is that you have to remove all mill scale before welding to it, you cannot get away with not doing this. Look through the following pictures and you'll see why. The quench and temper process forms a harder/thicker than normal scale on the surface, and in the pictures you can see harder spots of scale then in other spots. Its it's to grind these off, as it will cause weld defects (of varying types), because you cannot burn through the scale.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Why aren't you running the ends of the truss to the inner C's?

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Outer link mounts and shock mounts will tie everything together at those locations, space is tight to clear the outer knuckle at the steering stops.

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Hard work is done on the 2nd axle, all welding is complete except for the cover plates and knuckle to tube (need more of the wire i used) to be finished at a later date. Was also able to get the diff under the truck last night as well.

Little ways to go on the truck till i get back to these again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Funny you mention that, Clay, the guy who built the warthog and it's axles, actually bored out the knuckle for me, and will be doing the steering and helping with the brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
I bet he said something like, boy I wish this shit was around when I dumped $700 worth of welding rod into my stuff.

OG

lol yup.

Anyway finished assembling the diffs so I can progress with work on the truck their going under. Had to use the cherry picker to bolt up the hub assemblies, heavy and ackward. Also had to toss on the tie rod ends to keep the diff from flipping, that's why it's at a funky angle in the pictures. WMS is 86.5" and overall hub to hub is 95"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Last picture/update for a bit. I set the diffs at the tire centerline on my chassis jig so I can start building the truck, and I have 16" of clearance under the 3rd member and 22" under the tubes with a 46" tall tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Not yet, I wanna use over the counter rotors (part numbers somewhere in here) and superduty calipers, we'll see. I have a ways to go before I button up brakes.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts