Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Since most here live, eat and breathe 4x4s, I have a question for you.

My 1967 F100 is a 4wd and the axle ratios have me confused and I am hoping someone might be able to clear it up.

The axles are factory originals, 9" out back and Dana 44-7F front, with tags that state: 3.54 front ratio and 3.50 rear axle ratio.

Why would they build it like this? Nowhere could I find Dana ratios in 3.50R and for the 9" I saw that a 39-11 would give a 3.55. Is this what any of you would do?

I have an NP435 and don't plan on any tires larger than 32".

Thanks in advance!

Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
they do this so when your driving you have a certain constant pressure on your wheels why i dont quite undrestand either also the gears have alittle different depth width angle specs which will minorly throw off the ratios. i hope this helps haha

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I mentioned this once before to another fella but it is my understanding that Manufacturers will allow up to .04 difference in ratio. How true this is i dont know but i have never had a problem with this combo in the past. I also found 2 1972 Ford F-100's 4X4's that came with 9 3/8ths rears and D-44 fronts. Both trucks had 4.09 in the front and 4.20 in the rear and yes, they did bind a little. These 2 trucks are the only ones i have stumbled upon with this kind of ratio difference. As far as i know the axles were original and havent found any kind of aftermarket source of parts for the 9 3/8ths rear axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! My uncle, who passed away 10 years ago, had been a wheeler and mechanic since he started to drive in the early 70s, he used to be my question answerer and it has been hard finding info until I found this site.

Upon digging deeper and thinking about getting a newer axle with disc brakes, I learned that 76 and 77 had the thick axle shafts and disc brakes and were pretty much a bolt-on swap... ANYWAY, in 73 Ford offered the Dana 44 in 3.50R also!

This place lists lots of axles with 3.50, here close to me, when I search for 1976 F100/150 front axles.
http://www.mypartshop.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts