Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Dana 44 from a Grand Waggoneer that I'm swapping into my TJ. I'd like to keep my rear 44 and I'd want to avoid changing the bolt pattern of both axles. I know that some Isuzu's came with 44's in the rear, that have the same bolt pattern as the Waggy, disc's, and are similar WMS to WMS. Will those shafts fit in my current housing? I tried the search but didn't come across anything conclusive. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Yep, they'll fit in your housing. Right after you cut them down.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
the axle you are speaking of came in Isuzu rodeos with disk brakes from 1993-1997

they are 30 spline rears. they have an integrated drum style e-brake on the inside of the disk rotor and a press fir bearing.

i'm not all that familiar with the TJ rear, but I'll say no way on the bolt up.

i have a shaft here if you want a pic for comparison.

the WMS -WMS is around 56" and the axles come w/ 4.10's and 4.30's stock....you could certainly swap a whole rear in there......but it is still a bit narrower than a waggy 44.....

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Why not just get a waggy rear end too? That way the lengths will match up, and the only thing you may have to do is possibly swap gears to make sure you have the same ratio front and rear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sully said:
Why not just get a waggy rear end too? That way the lengths will match up, and the only thing you may have to do is possibly swap gears to make sure you have the same ratio front and rear.
$$$$

Waggy rears are pretty common (and cheap) in my neck of the woods. Axle brackets for a TJ rear are in the neighborhood of $300. Besides, why would I want to throw away a perfectly good rear axle, it already has 4.88's and a Detroit . If the Isuzu shafts fit, then I'd swap their discs too. I want to avoid changing the bolt pattern of both axles.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't know what kind of budget you have, but......

How 'bout just ordering up a set of shafts from someone that has the bolt pattern you want. You would get the right pattern AND get a much stronger shaft for the rear. A number of places can do that for probably under $500 or $600 at the most.

Or.............I'm not sure if Warn is doing this yet......but you could get their full floater kit. It is 5 on 5.5" (or should be available like that I think) and would get you some really strong rear shafts (4340). I'm not too sure if this one even exists yet. And the cost is probably $800-$900.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
TealJay said:

why would I want to throw away a perfectly good rear axle, it already has 4.88's and a Detroit .
Why throw it away when you can sell it for more than that waggie rear end cost?

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Sully said:

Why throw it away when you can sell it for more than that waggie rear end cost?

That's what I was gonna say...
$300 for an RE bracket kit, $150 for the axle, and then install your TJ gears, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
foley said:

That's what I was gonna say...
$300 for an RE bracket kit, $150 for the axle, and then install your TJ gears, etc.
All good points! I was thinking about that, but felt the housing would be worth less without gears and diff. I want to avoid custom shafts, although it looks like that may be my only option, other than wheel adapters. My goal is to have discs on the rear also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts