Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a cj-5 with a d30..well thats what i was told.. i was also told it came out of a scout not sure...quetion is did scouts have d30 front axles..the reason iam asking this i was pulling someone out of the snow and it blew up and i need a new hub and i cant seem to find any picks of a scout d30..dont even know if they came with d30 ..if so could someone post a pick of a scout d30 for me..oh its also a pass side drop if that helps
thanks alot

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
D30

Yes alot of Scouts came with the D30 front and a D44 rear. Most ppl dont really care about the D30 so you should be able to get replacement stuff free or cheap. My parts Scout used to have a D30 front its easy to tell as the pumkin does not have the spring perches mounted to it. The D30 has the perches mounted to the axel housing on all 4 springs VS the D44 having the front passenger side built into the pumkin. Look at the Warn catalog for an IHC from 60-75ish I think (mine was a 75 with the D30) and get the small hub should be right or just call em! G'Luck and take care.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Actually, the D30's passenger side perch IS cast into the housing... it just not INTO the housing like the D44... Take a look some day... or I'll try and snap a picture here...

As for parts, what did you pop?? The locking hubs are the same as the Scout II D44's, and the external Jeeps hubs (CJ's), pretty damn common and anvailable new from many sources.

If it is the wheel hub you busted... disc or drum?? 90% of the Scout II D30's were drum (years '71-74ish). There were D30 disc units availiable around '74, but you could also have ended up with a drum D44, or a disc D44 (what ever they had at the time). The D30 disc set up is the same as the D44 disc set up (Scout II). The drum hub is "simular", but the back face is not machined like it is for the disc, and the wheel stud holes are bigger.

The D30 drum spindle is the same as the D44 unit, however it is held to the knuckle with 6 bolts, not 8.

What part to you need??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i looked iam pritty sure its a d30 it also has disk brakes...i broke the hole lock peace that you twist to lock it into 4wheel drive

so i broke the lockout and the peace thats conected to it with 6 bolts to..then the thing with the 6 bolts then bolts to the axles

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
josh138 said:
i looked iam pritty sure its a d30 it also has disk brakes...i broke the hole lock peace that you twist to lock it into 4wheel drive

so i broke the lockout and the peace thats conected to it with 6 bolts to..then the thing with the 6 bolts then bolts to the axles

Yeah....that would be called a "hub"?:confused:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
O NO!!!!!

Damn man you just lost the whole front end!!!!

JK yeah just buy new hubs www.desertrat.com has new warns on sale for $99.00.

I donated my parts Scout to another Scout guy about 6 months ago was just going from memory.

At least you got the D30 with disk brakes so you can use all the standard Scout parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nvscouter....
ive been looking at warn hubs but it dosnt look like they will work. the bolts on the warn are smaller than the ones on the d30 hub:confused:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
josh138 said:
nvscouter....
ive been looking at warn hubs but it dosnt look like they will work. the bolts on the warn are smaller than the ones on the d30 hub:confused:
They should work. I have Warn premium hubs on my Scout D44 front. The Warn hubs replaced a set of stock Scout hubs that had been on my D30 front end when I bought the scout. SO - the hubs should work if you really have a Scout Dana 30 front end.....

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Josh,

Pick up any crap ass magazine or search the web to figgure out how to ID an axle.

Scouts had a 27 and a 30 in the early scout 80/800's and a 30 and 44 in the Scout II's.

I don't know what you have so I won't guess.

Were you told the rear end was out of a Scout too?... Or is it the CJ axle?

Is the diff smaller, bigger, or the same size as the rear diff?

--JoshC

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
PICTURE!

find/steel a digital camera and snap a picture...

If you truly have what you say you have, then what we have said is correct. If you have somthing different than a picture would help allot.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
First off if it is a dana 30 then pitch it off the side of a clif because they are Junk....I blew up my 30 while trying to go up a tiny little hill. It wasnt even something I even thought an axle could break on but hey I guess you get supprised every day!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok ill take a pic..and then we will find out
thanks guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got the pic but i cant post it...:mad: could someone give me a hand iam not very good with computers

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
here's his pic. Looks like a POS selectro to me... the kind Tom eats for lunch :flipoff2:

go to your local 4x4 shop and get your self a set of WARN's, you will be much better off...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If anyones near chico I have seen a Scout in the scrap yard that has the front end already puled, Looks like some one did all the work and then realized it was a 30, So its here but I dont know for how long.:p

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
SnowScoutII said:
If anyones near chico I have seen a Scout in the scrap yard that has the front end already puled, Looks like some one did all the work and then realized it was a 30, So its here but I dont know for how long.:p
What the hell would you want a D30 for? 9 IH owners out of 10 replace the 30 with a 44 (or plan to/want to).

Leave it in the yard! Smash it! Melt it down and make somethin useful.

:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
uglyscout said:

What the hell would you want a D30 for? 9 IH owners out of 10 replace the 30 with a 44 (or plan to/want to).

Leave it in the yard! Smash it! Melt it down and make somethin useful.
:D
Perhaps josh138 may want a spare for his cj-5. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts