Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out if this is going to be a good idea or not. I have a 2001 dakota club cab with a 3.9 v6. I recently blew out the front diff and the truck is parked. I've also got a set of axles off of an 85 J10 Jeep truck, full size.

Front:
Dana 44
This axle after opening it turned out to be brand new, had been sitting 10 years and all it has was some surfance rust, gears, carriers, berrings, hubs and ball joints all new. I think i lucked out, also its a 30 spline one peice axle.

Rear:
AMC 20 Wide Track, larger than the jeep style. When you think of a M20 you think of the tinny axle tube and short width. THe J10s had a full size width along with larger and stronger tubes. The question is how stronger, idk.

Gear setup, I wand to run 4.88's with 35 boggers, i know 4.56 would do the job but i figgured with the v6 the one step lower would help out. I'm not going for any speed records.

Lockers, Auburn E locker, front and rear.

I'm looking at around 2k for the gears alone, and then rebuilding the brakes.

The only thing i have in mind is i would love to find a Corp 14 bolt rear semi with 6lug for the rear, but i am about to give up on the search.

Is the amc 20 going to be a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
I would not stick money into a 20 when you can get a different rear for so little money.

I don't recall what bolt pattern the J10 was, so I don't know if any off the shelf 5 on 5.5 9" or 60 would work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are 6 lug, thats why i was looking for a semi flot 14bolt GM axle keeping the 6 polt pattern with 3/4 ton......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i've cut my losses, the builder of my truck is picking up a HP D60 and a 14bolt rear tommrow. I think that will a little stronger, haah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts