Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Axle Shaft Materials

All this talk about better birfs, now were down to what will brake next.

In some peoples opinion they feel the inner axle shafts will snap and I have called around for some ideas on material.

4140 is the norm righ now and some guys are treating and stress relieving it for more strength.

Damn I have a terriable memorey, but I was speaking with the guy who sells Mog setups here on Vancouver island. Originally I was just asking him if he could build me a set of inner axles to work with a factory new E-Locker. He told me of this material which is expensive and very strong, sounds like the way to go.

If I only had 7K burning a hole in my shorts, mogs would be the shit.

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Radd Cruisers said:

Yep, thats the stuff.

Is it that much better?

Rob
Really has alot to do with the way it is machined and strengthened...

300M Specs:

Principal Design Features:

300M is a low alloy, vacuum melted, steel of very high strength. Essentially it is a modified AISI 4340 steel with silicon, vanadium and slightly greater carbon and molybdenum content than 4340. 300M has a very good combination of strength (280 to 305 k

Machinability:

Machining is best accomplished with the alloy in the normalized or normalized and tempered condition. Final machining to finish tolerances is done by grinding with care due the hardness of the heat treated alloy (Rockwell C 55).

Applications

Applications for 300M steel are those that require strength in the 290 - 300 ksi range, such as aircraft landing gear, high strength bolts and airframe parts.

Comp Specs:

Carbon
0.38 - 0.46

Chromium
0.7 - 0.95

Iron
Balance

Manganese
0.6 - 0.9

Molybdenum
0.3 - 0.65

Nickel
1.65 - 2

Phosphorus
0.01 max

Silicon
1.45 - 1.8

Sulphur
0.01 max

Vanadium
0.05 min

Yes, I know I am a nerd.... :D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Damn it Kurt! Back away from the science books!

Yes you will break stock inners if ya wheel hard enough, with a heavy enough rig and big sticky tires. I munched a dozen, mostly short sides in the last 2 years running the original Longs.

Pig has 300M inners but they are pricey, Bobby Long will treat stock inners (your cores) and has new 4340 inners on the way from Superior that he will treat making them very strong, and likely stronger than the new birfs. Dec 17th is the date for Bobby's inners.

Mark Williams also made some custom ones for the Cruisers.

Edit after visiting the vendor forum, Pig has 4340's on thge way, with custom design tweaks, and All Pro is gonna sell the same axles as Bobby from Superior.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
SpaceGhost said:
Damn it Kurt! Back away from the science books!...
I can't... its finals week ;)

If anyone else (nerdy like me) wants any material specs... just ask (I stare at them all day :eek: ).

As for the 4340 vs 300M debate... that is a long-winded conversation... mabey a senoir thesis idea :confused: :D

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:

I can't... its finals week ;)

If anyone else (nerdy like me) wants any material specs... just ask (I stare at them all day :eek: ).

As for the 4340 vs 300M debate... that is a long-winded conversation... mabey a senoir thesis idea :confused: :D
My new front inner axles are made of 4340.

The sizeable difference between 4340 and 300M is a little Black "Bling" color from what I can tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
wngrog said:

The sizeable difference between 4340 and 300M is a little Black "Bling" color from what I can tell.
Kurt, what is the compound of this little black "bling" color, sure is expensive stuff?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:
Since I don't feel like wading through the shoulder deep BS in the pipe vs. tube threads, how about some strengths of your average HREW tube? Don't need the chemical compositions, thanks..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
wngrog said:

It's more than bling factor, from what I found 4340 has a strength of 220 ksi. This makes 300M about 30-35% stronger than standard 4340.

CruiserBrett has 300M inners, $500 a pair.

300M thread

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Eskimo said:

Since I don't feel like wading through the shoulder deep BS in the pipe vs. tube threads, how about some strengths of your average HREW tube? Don't need the chemical compositions, thanks..
I don't think you should use pipe or tube for axle shafts. :flipoff2:

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
300 M can be hardened more that other steels so it can be heat treated harder than other steels, which is 290-300 ksi UTS vs 230 ksi UTS for 4340.

Both of these numbers put you in STUPID tough axles when you are building 35 spline D60 stuff.

300M is not worth the 100% premium over 4340 from what I can tell.

Bling factor aside, for a D60, 4340 will be as hard as you need.

As for Cruiser axles, I think 300M is the way to go if you are dead set on keeping your Cruiser stuff. Here, the extra hardness will make up for the smaller sized axles.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speaking of tough axles, for some reason I keep thinking you are going to mogs wngrog?

I spoke with the guy on the island who sells them and he has been running a set for over a year and 44s. No issues yet with them as far as breakage of axles.

Rob

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Radd Cruisers said:
Speaking of tough axles, for some reason I keep thinking you are going to mogs wngrog?

I spoke with the guy on the island who sells them and he has been running a set for over a year and 44s. No issues yet with them as far as breakage of axles.

Rob
I am buiding a Mog/9" hybrid rear axle.

I did not want to redo the entire Cruiser, so it will be Portaled in the rear only.

If I ran portals in the front, I would have to greatly increase my ride height to clear the front axle, so a rear is fine with me.

Hell, what is the percentage of times in which your front diff stopped you on a trail versus the rear diff?

If I can clear the front axle TUBE, I will have 1" more clearance under the lowest point in the rear!

BTW, I don't know what those Mog axles are made of, but after I got them back from Moser, I could see the inside of the steel and it is some seriously bad ass steel!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Reading threads like this make me fell even dumber then before. just when I thought I was beginning to understand something about axle strength,...... now I am back to 100% confusion.

I guess I should keep my day job ay!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts