Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I was assembling my rear axle this weekend for the first time since it was cut down. While putting on the breaks I noticed that there was a lot of play in the axlel; about 3/8 to 1/2" of travel. The travel occurs on BOTH sides of the axle. Is there supposed to be a shim to keep this from happening? Or maybe the retainer for the bearing is pressed far enough? This is the first time that I've messed with it. The axle is shortened on one side, but the behavior is happening on both sides.
Background info: D44 Rear axle from a 77ish J-Truck with a Detroit soft locker. Shafts shortened by dutchman.

Thanks in Advance for the replies!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
If it's a semi-float and the axle is installed with the retainer bolted down there should be no play as far as wobbling it in and out, up and down, or side to side. My guess would be bad bearings.

If it's rotational play as in turning the axle in forward or reverse then yes a little is normal.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a semi-float and the play is there when the retainer is bolted down. you can pull on the WMS and it will slide toward you about 3/8 or 1/2".

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I talked to Sean over at River City Differentials (he installed my R&P and Lcoker) and he said that there are no spacers....he suggested new bearings so that is where I am going next. I just find it hard to believe that both sides would be showing the same behavior....You would think that the behavior would differ between the two.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No disc brake conversion....Just stock drums.

Keith- Going to the shop around 5 for a quick stop and then heading home...what time you getting off of work?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts