Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the spline length on the inner axles need to be any longer when using a elocked diff? I have 'heard' from a couple people that something about the spline length needs to be different for elocked diff, however no one seems to know just exacty what or even for sure if this is true. I would tend to think that this is not true, one reason being that in the writeups for retro fitting an elocked third into a rear/front housing there is never any mention of this.

Just wanting to make sure before I order another set of custom length inner axles. I am currently running a FJ80 hi pinion elocked third and the inners I have now have 2"-3" of splines on the diff side. I talked to the company I got the current axle shafts from and they said that the spline length was not cut longer because of the elocker but that is just the way the axle manufacturer cut them.

thanks!
shane

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
The e locker spline length is 2 " longer than stock on the long side..... Which makes it 4.5" long total...... we have made these in the past if you are interested.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
The FJ-80 REAR E-locker (8.75"?) uses a longer spline on the locker side since the locker mechanism slides on the axle shaft.

The Tacoma/4runner rear and FJ-80 front e-lockers use standard splined axles. That's why you can drop one in an older axle w/ just some housing mods.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
PIG said:
The e locker spline length is 2 " longer than stock on the long side.....
Forgot to mention that this is for a tacoma (driver side diff), so that would be the short side for me... Cool. Do you happen to know why this is needed? Especially since its the 'passenger' side of the diff (when in the front) where the shift fork mechanism is for locking/unlocking the locker.

thanks!
shane

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ErikB said:
The FJ-80 REAR E-locker (8.75"?) uses a longer spline on the locker side since the locker mechanism slides on the axle shaft.

The Tacoma/4runner rear and FJ-80 front e-lockers use standard splined axles. That's why you can drop one in an older axle w/ just some housing mods.
Ahhh, that makes sense. That also must be where the confusion comes from.

Thanks!
shane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts