Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here guys. If I switch to heavy duty shafts do you think a 12 bolt rear and a Dana 44 front can stand up to 37's and lockers on a full size? I'm no mudder so they won't see much of the goo, just basic mountain wheelin and snow. I'll eventualy go with a 60 and 14 bolt but, unlike most people who have them for sale, I don't think they are made of gold. Damn supply and demand! lol:beer: :rasta: :smokin:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My 12 bolt is doing just fine with 35x15x15 TSLs and a Lincoln locker and I play in the mud all the time. I would think that the skinnier 37s would be fine for the 12 bolt as long as you aren't hammering it on the rocks. If you're worried about the 12 bolt staying alive at least get a 14B FF, they are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
no way don't waste your time with a 12 bolt and gears. its all a waste. just buy a set of 3/4 ton axles with 4.10 gears, this way you get gearing too. the 14ff bolt is way way stronger than the 12 bolt. i've seen complete 3/4 ton trucks for 5 or 6 hundred bucks and just the axles as cheap as 300. with the money you save you can eventually buy a 60 front. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON A PIECE OF $H!T 12 BOLT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Ditto! The money you'll save in the long run is the best way to look at it. Go to a PNS yard and get 14 ff for 75-100$. If you don't have the cash now to do the front, just pull the front DS until you get the 60 up front. If you get the 4.10's, it should hold you over until you can get real gears! You could easily pay double for a 12 bolt locker (Detroit), over the 300-350 $ for a 14 bolt detroit...

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Like what the other guys said, save your money, get your 60, 14ff are easy to find, and do it once and right the first time. Don't waste tie and money on a set of axles that will break and can't sell easy. Look around, the 60s are out there. got mine for $500.

·
Registered
636 Posts
you probly could get away whith locked 44 and 12bolt but i dont think youll whant to. Just go to the wreking yard and find the 1 ton axles and rebuild if need be, when they are apart throw in some lockers. It WILL save money in the long run. The first time you have goose it while flexing those 1/2ton axles will granade.

·
Registered
377 Posts
d60 & 14bolt, can't go wrong with them

·
Registered
201 Posts
If anything just go for a 14 bolt full floater and change you 44 to 8 lugs. Hell I'm running a 14 bolt with 36's under a mid size vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts