Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2001 xj with 3.55 gears in what I believe to be D30/D35. Also have a 1995 yj with 4.10s in the same basic axle, that I'm getting rid of. Is it worth the hassle to swap axles so my xj has the 4.10s? It's only a trail rig, as it has no title/ no doors/ no glass ..... I thought of simply trading guts, but I don't think it's worth all that.

I'm guessing ill be prompted to just upgrade the entire axles under the xj ..... Thoughts ?

And yes I know the suspension mounts are different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
swapping the gears would prob work, i am pretty sure the yj comes with a high pinion like the xj just depends if your mechanical skills are better then you welding and measuring skills, i know you dont want to hear it but if you have the dana 35 in the rear it would be best to swap to a different axle, search around for a dana 44 out of another xj for ease of swapping it in and then re gear depending on what size of tires you want to run.

hope this helped

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx. I have a fresh Dana 60 rear sitting here, but its a bit too big till I find a front to match and 4 link the thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ya if you plan on running larger the 33s with aggressive 4x4in a swap to larger axles would be a good idea, the high pinion would probably last a little while but will give out with enough abuse. Thats half the fun of owning a 4x4 anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts