Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, my thanks to the folks here. With your help my wristed arm is installed and other minor projects.

Today I stumbled across a '89 F-350 7.3 diesel. Hit in the front and for sale cheap.

It apppears to have a D60 kingpin front and D70 rear, both tags say 4.10 gears.

Now the questions. Are the axle widths similiar to a '79 F-150?(WMS-WMS I think it is referred to here.)

That is the truck I want to use them in.

Lastly, I think I remember a link here once for the weld on pieces to adapt a D60 for the coil spring front in my truck.

I know this question is lacking in detail, but the 2 year old is eating dinner, the 4 week old is fussing, and the 16 year old needs my help in changing the starter in the above truck. So please don't tell me to do a search of the site, I just don't have time right now.:eek:

Long question short. With the obvious work needed, can I use these axles in my truck.

All help appreciated.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Marksman said:
Today I stumbled across a '89 F-350 7.3 diesel. Hit in the front and for sale cheap.

It apppears to have a D60 kingpin front and D70 rear, both tags say 4.10 gears.

Now the questions. Are the axle widths similiar to a '79 F-150?(WMS-WMS I think it is referred to here.)

Lastly, I think I remember a link here once for the weld on pieces to adapt a D60 for the coil spring front in my truck.
Check my Dana 44 article, at teh bottom I list Dana 60 info, have a pic of teh 77.5-79 style and the 86-91 style. The axle tubes are different length, pic will show you. From what I've read most people re-tube to fit the Dana 44 wedges, but you will find that one person that welded the wedge to the cast center pumpkin.

Yes it's a Dana 60 King pin front, unless swapped.

I''ve a set of wedges PM me else some bronco house has them for around $80. Tom's or Jeff's? Someone will know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll need to think about this if I read your replies correctly.

I have the fabrication skills to weld up the wedges, but obviously not to change axle tubes.

I am looking for the simplist swap, and 4.10's are what I want to run.

What issues will I run into if I try to run the front as is? Can it be done?

Mike

More:

If you do re-tube using the 44 wedges, how do you do that with the two piece tubes you showed in one picture? It seems that the two piece tubes would be a weak point?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr N.

Thanks for your help so far. Hopefully I can ask some more detailed questions. I have searched the site, and haven't found exactly what I am looking for.

With your pictures I see the difference you mentioned about the shorter tube.

The truck is forty miles away, so I can't get any measurements, but is there enough room between the center section and outboard end to fit the control arm?

In my situation I see that short side as a possible advantage. I swapped in a 460 and the expensive but poorly fitting L&L headers I used rub against my driveshaft. I am currently planning on putting the manifolds back in, but those headers were $$$$!!

Moving the center section over would give me some additional clearance. Plus I have a 203 for a doubler, and when I order it from WMS I plan to clock the 205 which would also move the driveshaft over a bit.

I am an industrial equipment tech. but just recently began the 4x4 hobby. So things like driveshaft angle I am aware of, but don't know enough to keep myself out of trouble. Will putting a side to side angle on the driveshaft cause problems? (This is my son's daily driver now that he turned 16)

The wedges I can weld up, but have some concerns about the panhard rod(correct term??) for side to side movement. Does anyone make the end for the axle. (I have access to a machine shop, so fabbing is not a problem, just not as simple.)

Anything else needing to be considered would be appreciated, such as steering issues. The F-350 steering appeared to be the same or very similiar to my F-150.

Basically what I would like to do is pull the axles, rebuild them, make all modifications and do the swap in one weekend, to keep the truck on the road.

Apologies for the long post, but in my other hobby (side by side shotguns) I participate in several BBS's and have found more information is better than not enough.

Best,

Mike

PS Assuming I can NOT use these axles, and recognizing that different areas of the country have different prices, what price could I get for the pair of axles? The truck is cheap enough, I could still buy it to part out.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I did not read all of your last reply (you should type less ;) )but yes the C's fit, I welded some on a 97 D60, no problem, the Driver side C has to be trimmed.............. alot, but its easy

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Ohh wanted to add too, there is not even a point in measureing the distance on the C's for the newer D60, you just pretty weld stick them as far as you can out, (welded the pass side almost to the Axle C)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
welndmn,

Thanks for the help. One clarification. By "C" do you mean the control arms. A stupid question is better than a major screw up.

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
No,
Fords use Radius arms ;)
Anyway the C is the part your welding onto the axle tube (you know, you buy C bushing for)
THe Axle C is where the kunckle bolts to the axle, via balljoint or kingpin

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duh!!

They were called "wedges" by someone earlier in the string, and I had a brain fade.

Damn guy with the truck won't answer his phone!! It is a small business that has it out behind their building, so I hope they just closed up early on a Friday.

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I call the pieces Wedges and Inner knuckel, seeems easier to follow. Plus Dana calls it an inner knuckle.

using C's for this C's for that gets a little hard to follow, c what I mean?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Marksman said:
The truck is forty miles away, so I can't get any measurements, but is there enough room between the center section and outboard end to fit the control arm?
Looks like welndmn answered this, see pic below if that helps.
Marksman said:
Will putting a side to side angle on the driveshaft cause problems? (This is my son's daily driver now that he turned 16)
Nothing I'd worry about, being on the front. J Nutter over at 4x4wire has a write up about driveshafts and gets into this.
Marksman said:
The wedges I can weld up, but have some concerns about the panhard rod(correct term??) for side to side movement. The truck is cheap enough, I could still buy it to part out.
Check out CJFord site, mabye a similar solution would work for you. http://cjford.stormloader.com/Jeep/jeepaxle1.htm

(I've never owned a Dana 60 front)

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Pic of Dana 44 Ford Coil wedges

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help.

Took another look at the truck today, and I think I have my wife convinced that this is the proper way to correct all the "problems" with the truck.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts