Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I have a question I have a 99 ram 1500 5 speed single cab short bed. It has a 5.9 with a 408 stroker kit every since the motor and tranny have been built I am going through ring a pinions like crazy I want to do a Dana 60 swap but don’t know what all needs to be done or if my 8 inch long arm skyjacker lift will fit back on it any information would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay guys I have a question I have a 99 ram 1500 5 speed single cab short bed. It has a 5.9 with a 408 stroker kit every since the motor and tranny have been built I am going through ring a pinions like crazy I want to do a Dana 60 swap but don’t know what all needs to be done or if my 8 inch long arm skyjacker lift will fit back on it any information would be greatly appreciated
My truck does not have 3.55 when I built the truck I put 4.56 gears in it to compensate the 38 inch tires also the pinion angle is good this is the third time in the past two year the pinion gear has broke first time I installed other two times they was installed professionally

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pictures of what you have and what is being broken would help here. Is the pinion snapping or are you eating teeth?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures of what you have and what is being broken would help here. Is the pinion snapping or are you eating teeth?
The pinion is snapping not really understanding why the truck only make 487 on the dyno which the pinion should be able to handle also it’s not doing it under heavy loads as in having the guts ran out of it the truck maybe sees 1000 miles a year going to car shows

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pinion is snapping not really understanding why the truck only make 487 on the dyno which the pinion should be able to handle also it’s not doing it under heavy loads as in having the guts ran out of it the truck maybe sees 1000 miles a year going to car shows
The gears are fine and show no sign of wear. Every time it has done it the rear end locks up for a spilt Second then the pinion is gone

·
Registered
53 Posts
Something is definitely up if you aren't using excessive skinny pedal all the time. What brand of R+P are you putting in it each time? I'm not familiar with Dodge axles. Is there an oil slinger and is it installed correctly? Lack of oil would cause your rear to suddenly lock up and with that much hp, it would snap the pinion.
And for a D60 swap, it should be pretty easy as long as you take good measurements of the mounts you have now and make them identical on the new axle. Hardest part really would be finding the right size 60 you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something is definitely up if you aren't using excessive skinny pedal all the time. What brand of R+P are you putting in it each time? I'm not familiar with Dodge axles. Is there an oil slinger and is it installed correctly? Lack of oil would cause your rear to suddenly lock up and with that much hp, it would snap the pinion.
And for a D60 swap, it should be pretty easy as long as you take good measurements of the mounts you have now and make them identical on the new axle. Hardest part really would be finding the right size 60 you need.
[/QUOTe. Brand I am using is yokon heard the the best around and no always had good dif fluid levels never any leaks and yes it was installed correctly

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,345 Posts
Will the bolt right up I was looking and saw that with a d60 u have to cut the spring perches Bc d44 are 2.5 inches and d60 is 3 inches and the drive shaft has to be shortened 2 inches
No Dana 60or any beefier axle is going to bolt up to your stock 1500 suspension. If you buy it out of a similar generation truck at least the widths are close.

Unless you want to have currie or Dynatrac build you something custom. That is more expensive by a large margin

Almost every axle is going to have a different Pinion length, and most will use a bigger u-joint. Driveshaft modifications will be required.

Since you have a short is wheelbase truck with a tall lift, post a picture of your rear pinion angle. I’m wondering if it is really steep and you are starving the pinion bearings for oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts