Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a closed knuckle dana 44 low pinion last in the front of a yj with a 4 banger and 4.88 gearing or should i just wait and find a hp 44? rear is going to be a dana 60... and if anyone knows off hand what is the spring pad width of a jeep dana 30?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tire size?
I think it is 27" on a CJ, nor sure for wranglers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
zukfreak56 said:
will a closed knuckle dana 44 low pinion last in the front of a yj with a 4 banger and 4.88 gearing or should i just wait and find a hp 44? rear is going to be a dana 60... and if anyone knows off hand what is the spring pad width of a jeep dana 30?

A high pinion dana 44 has a stronger ring and pinion when under power moving forward. Everything else is the same. Normally a u-joint, hub, or shaft will fail before the ring and pinion. So... unless you are upgrading to alloy shafts, trick u-joints, and drive flanges, you probably wont see any benifit from the high pinion, other than a better driveshaft angle. The dana 44 should hold up, lots of people run 38's on dana 44's.

hmm... I just noticed you said closed knuckle... I don't know shit about closed knuckles.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I personaly would not use a closed knuckle D44. I would look for an open knuckle.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
zukfreak56 said:
will a closed knuckle dana 44 low pinion last
Which one? (and I'll limit this to Ford)
From a Highboy with softball size inner knuckles?
From a early 70's F250 with baseball size inners?
From and early 60's 1/2 ton with baseball size inners?

I'd hold out for an Disk brake axle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i forgot the closed knuckle has drums so screw that i have a hp 44 just gotta talk my dad into using it.. also does anyone know if it is possible to spring under a hp 44 and 60 or would i be better off getting stock yj springs and staying spring over? im not looking for a ton of flex because im fixing to pick up the nth degree zig zag for the back and a more shackle reversal and buggy leaf setup for the front. and will it hurt to run the springs in the stock mounting location on the jeep? jeep springs pad width is 31 ford axles i have are 32.

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
zukfreak56 said:
ok i forgot the closed knuckle has drums so screw that i have a hp 44 just gotta talk my dad into using it.. also does anyone know if it is possible to spring under a hp 44 and 60 or would i be better off getting stock yj springs and staying spring over?
Sure, it's possible, but probably easier to do the latter. Also try front wagoneer springs. After a little more research, you shoudl be clear on what you want to do here.

im not looking for a ton of flex because im fixing to pick up the nth degree zig zag for the back
Have you read a positive review of them?
and will it hurt to run the springs in the stock mounting location on the jeep? jeep springs pad width is 31 ford axles i have are 32.
See if it fits well enough. If it doesn't, you can't.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
havent really heard much about the zig zag but i think if i have to ill be the guinea pig.

im gonna try to spring under but im not sure if it will work. im only wanting to run a 35 inch tire and my fenders are cut like crazy so with a spring over its gonna look terrible.

not really how i would like it to look but this is how i got it.
for reference it has 33x12.50s right now

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
zukfreak56 said:
and a more shackle reversal and buggy leaf setup for the front.
The shackle reversal is a good idea but I would not run a buggy leaf setup on the front.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whats wrong with the buggy leaf in the front? the setup from more only gives a couple extra inches of travel which would be good..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys i think i know what way i might go with this.. i have a hd 60 that i will put in the rear i can get a hp 44 with radius arm suspension for 50 so i think that is the way ill go.. if anyone has pics of a jeep using the ford radius arm setup i would appreciate them thanks.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts