Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies found a scout with dual 44s and a dana 300 t-case would it be a wise choice to do the swap on a 1979 cj-5 with stock axles and t-case.

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
Yes.

Both axles are stronger than the stockers, and assuming the transfer case is the Scout Dana 300, it would bolt up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But would i have any trouble with the swap with the t-case out of the scout or the axles on either.

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
Huh?

Issues you will run into:
Transfer case:
We'll assume it IS a Scout 300. Bolt up replacement for a Jeep Dana 20. If you've already got a Jeep 300, don't worry about it. Buy it if it's a deal, and resell it. However, the first year for the Dana 300 was 80, so you probably don't have a 300.

Rear axle:
Stock spring perch width won't match your spring width. Weld new perches on. Go springs over axle at the same time. Net about 5-6 inches of lift with stock springs.

Front axle:
Same as above, but different solution. Mount new spring hangers outboard of your frame. Again, SOA and your golden.

Not sure what gear ratio you have or what is in those axles. But make sure the new axles have the same ratio in the front and back. (You're new hear, asking pretty rudimentary axle swap questions, so I thought I'd be safe and cover some basics - don't mean to insult if this is obvious).

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
first year 1980 is a joke the only year was 1980 and they only made like 30k of them. so if you have a scout 300 buy it sell it. worth 700 bucks for sure.

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
Originally posted by ItsaCJ6:
<STRONG>first year 1980 is a joke the only year was 1980 and they only made like 30k of them. so if you have a scout 300 buy it sell it. worth 700 bucks for sure.</STRONG>
He's got a 79, first year for the 300 in Jeeps was 80. And correct, the only year for the 300 in Scouts was 80 - the last year of their production.

And 700 is pretty steep. I can get you a freshly rebuilt one for that.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Scout 300 = $$$$$

I was trying to get one for my CJ and saw 2 on Ebay go for $920 and $850 STOCK

Yikes!

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Originally posted by Mo:
<STRONG>He's got a 79, first year for the 300 in Jeeps was 80. And correct, the only year for the 300 in Scouts was 80 - the last year of their production.

And 700 is pretty steep. I can get you a freshly rebuilt one for that.</STRONG>

i believe he said he has a 79 JEEP! He didn't mention what year scout it was.

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
Exactly... he has a 79 Jeep. So presumably he's got a Dana 20 transfer case. If he found a Scout 300, it would bolt up.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Originally posted by Mo:
<STRONG>Exactly... he has a 79 Jeep. So presumably he's got a Dana 20 transfer case. If he found a Scout 300, it would bolt up.</STRONG>
OK, thought you were saying the scout was a 79. Personally, I'll keep my D18 - almost as low geared as a 300 and plentiful at less than $50 a pop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is a 79 with the model 20 t-case. Would it be a wise investement to go for the scout dana 300 or if i find a jeep dana 300 which would be the better find.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Scout 300 will bolt up and is rare so it's worth more. Jeep 300 would require an adapter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts