Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently put in a new set of 529's in the front and was wondering if any one new how much grease to put in the knuckle. i have already packed the hub and filled the dif with oil but need to know how much goes in the knuckle. thx:question:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Greased up!

According to the factory Toyota manual it states:
"Pack Molybdenum disulphide lithium base grease into the knuckle to about three fourths of the knuckle volume."

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
depends on how big of a mess you want to deal with when you change a broken axle/birf. :D i don't put any in the knuckle. just pack the birf

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I did more like Camo - I packed the birf, pcked some around the upper and lower knuckle bearings, threw a handful more in there for good measure - and buttoned it up.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have heard folks using as much as a pound of grease per side, but that seems excessive to me. I would say you could get away with maybe 1/2 pound per side in the knuckle. You'll need another pound tub for the wheel bearings, and you'll have some left over.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I put 3-4 spatulas full after I grease the longfield. Roktoy showed us that trick, makes it easy and cleaner than using your hands. Make sure to use the red or blue high temp stuff, it doesn't turn to soup like the black and yellow grease.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
a good smear on the trunions and a pack the birf, thats it, everything else is just there to make a mess when you crack it open...

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
DRM said:
I did more like Camo - I packed the birf, pcked some around the upper and lower knuckle bearings, threw a handful more in there for good measure - and buttoned it up.
Ditto when I had Birfs!!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
pmurf1 said:
I put 3-4 spatulas full after I grease the longfield.
Is this the cooking channel,or what?? :laughing: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Re: Greased up!

FYRDUDE said:
According to the factory Toyota manual it states:
"Pack Molybdenum disulphide lithium base grease into the knuckle to about three fourths of the knuckle volume."
This really confuses me since moly and lithium based greases are not compatible chemically.

Use moly grease for high temp applications. Never use Lithium based greases for that purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts