Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 jeep on cut down one ton axles(ford 9 in and dana 60) I think close to the stock Jeep axle width and 4.5 in of suspension lift as well as a 2 in body lift. I was wondering if going to 40s, 42s, or 44s, was possible without making it unstable. It is currently on 37/12.5/17. I am wanting to go to stickys and beadlock wheels; before I invest that much money I wanted to make sure that I had the set up that performs the best for me. I am not so much concerned with how strong the steering and axles are(it has chromoly axle internals and hydraulic assist steering) I was more wondering bout how stable it would be with the higher center of gravity. I primarily wheel on the east coast if that changes what recommendations would be made. I am ok with cutting a little more of the fenders. I trailer it to the trails.

·
P.B.A.
4,368 Posts

Read and search and all your questions will be answered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since when is a Ford 9 inch considered a 1 ton axle?
My apologies if I got this part wrong as I am new to the community and bought my rig with the axles already on it. I know at the very least that it is a strong axle none the less, correct? Do you have any suggestions for what I should do with my tire size when I buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Since it is kind of a general question, I'll give a general reply. Personally, I don't think going to 40's-44's on a stock width axle is a good idea. It will be taller and therefore less stable side-to-side. In addition, you didn't mention it, but is it still the stock (or close to) wheelbase. If so, now it will also be a little stable end-to-end. Sure, you could lower the lift and cut more out of the fenders, etc. to lower the CoG back to where it was w/ 37's, but at some point you hit the law of diminishing returns with rig that only has a couple inches of up travel. The other thing you could run into is that these larger tires contact something on the side that is stuffed when you get full droop on the other side and now you need spacers for clearance, which in turn puts a higher level of stress on the axles. If it were me, I would keep my new tire search confined to 37's until (or if) you decided to swap in wider axles.

I am currently trying to fit 14" coilovers to my 99 TJ on stock width Teraflex axles and 37 sticky Treps, and I can tell you the rear is is not easy trying to keep these narrow axles and gain full articulation without hitting things. The front was a challenge, but the back is going to require some major surgery to keep the stock width frame. I can't imagine trying to get 40+ tires under there without it becoming a Jeep you could only drive on the street or a paved trail because it will flop in a stiff breeze :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since it is kind of a general question, I'll give a general reply. Personally, I don't think going to 40's-44's on a stock width axle is a good idea. It will be taller and therefore less stable side-to-side. In addition, you didn't mention it, but is it still the stock (or close to) wheelbase. If so, now it will also be a little stable end-to-end. Sure, you could lower the lift and cut more out of the fenders, etc. to lower the CoG back to where it was w/ 37's, but at some point you hit the law of diminishing returns with rig that only has a couple inches of up travel. The other thing you could run into is that these larger tires contact something on the side that is stuffed when you get full droop on the other side and now you need spacers for clearance, which in turn puts a higher level of stress on the axles. If it were me, I would keep my new tire search confined to 37's until (or if) you decided to swap in wider axles.

I am currently trying to fit 14" coilovers to my 99 TJ on stock width Teraflex axles and 37 sticky Treps, and I can tell you the rear is is not easy trying to keep these narrow axles and gain full articulation without hitting things. The front was a challenge, but the back is going to require some major surgery to keep the stock width frame. I can't imagine trying to get 40+ tires under there without it becoming a Jeep you could only drive on the street or a paved trail because it will flop in a stiff breeze :)
Thank you very much for your input, as this fully answered my question. I will definitely be keeping the tire size to 37s tops. You mentioned that you have sticky treps and I was looking into those as my tire option; how do you like them and what wheels do you have them mounted on to? I was looking at Trailrready HDs or some other similar priced single or double beadlock.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
No problem. Definitely like the Treps, mine are on polished Walker Evans beadlocks. It's mostly a trailer queen, weekend play toy, so although I do drive the Treps on the road around town it probably doesn't see more than 500 miles a year or less - so I'm not too worried about wearing them out :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts