Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4x4 ADD
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting alot of axle wrap with my new YJ suspention.

Brent said he would put another main leaf in the pack(I have five now) and I will try that if I can find some springs. Theere doesn't seem to be any round here that I can find.

What have you done about this?

If it matters I am running 33x13.50 tires and the sidekick 3rd members.

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Get a Sky traction bar or Breeze setup. The only way to truly wheel and onroad drive a zuk yj suspension is with a competent traction bar. Adding more leaves will cure the axle wrap, but will limit your suspension cycling. RRO,TT, and AAPA do not mention them on their site,but after much wheeling with yj's, i feel their mandatory.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yep...do the anti-wrap bar thing. The Breeze setup is a great example of the type that works well. I'm not all that thrilled with the axle mount, but that's about the best out there at the moment.

I went through passenger side rear leaf springs like they were going out of style after my spring-over. Basically, one leaf pack per Rubicon-type run. It was getting expensive!!! Built the anti-wrap setup and problem solved. Turns out...it also helps a lot in traction and control...Keeps the torque on the ground nice and predictable.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It depends a lot on driving style and application. If you can stand to take it easy on the skinny pedal in the low gears you can get by without one. I have had the same set of rear YJ's for three years without any anti-wrap device. I admit that I want one though, just to cheap to buy one and too lazy to make one :( . I run a five-leaf set in the rear with one of the shorter leafs from a four-leaf pack added to it. I tried double main-leaves in the rear and it was too stiff.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
sweet

yea, where do you find that breeze set up? :confused:

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Linky: http://www.breezeindustries.com/kit_details2.htm#Traction Bar

FROM THE BREEZE SITE:

$298.80 / set standard wheelbase
$348.80 / set long wheelbase

"Our Traction Bar has been designed to eliminate all axle wrap but not to interfere with articulation or flexibility of the suspension. This is possible on the Samurai due to the offset third member allowing the traction bar to be mounted in a central position.

* Extra Heavy Duty Construction.
* The main connection is isolated with rubber bushings plus a fully flexible, sliding and rotational joint that is greasable.
* Complete with all nuts and bolts and parts to install.
* Fully adjustable and can be preloaded if desired.
* Designed to protect rear drive shaft and flange.
* Welding required to mount to rear housing. "

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
noclinkers said:
Tusker, I would like to pick up that engine from you.
I'll PM you my phone number. I am going wheeling this weekend, but should be around after Monday. Give me a call.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
YJ wrap........hum good......!

I had a five pack in the rear and battled a little wrap till I made a traction bar. However I'm a compulsive "overpacker" and my bum was drooping a tad. To remedy the problem I added a full YJ main feaf with the ears cut off (duh).

It fixed the drooping and as a bonus I removed the traction bar as well.
No more wrap.!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Cap'n Ron said:
Yep...do the anti-wrap bar thing.
I did! Thanks! YOURS works just fine on my rig.

that's about the best out there at the moment.
Except yours.. er.. mine, of course.

I went through passenger side rear leaf springs like they were going out of style after my spring-over.
I find that most springs can be easily straightened on a press, maybe 8-10 times. Just having bent once or twice does NOT destroy the spring. Say, anybody wanna buy some slightly used Nationals?

Turns out...it also helps a lot in traction and control...Keeps the torque on the ground nice and predictable.
But I still can't climb that *&#@%$ LEDGE!!! But I 'spose I could wind it up and drop the clutch and jump the darn thing up. Incidentally, this action is also useful for identifying the weakest link in the drive train.

GeoB

·
Registered
1 Posts
anti-wrap

I used to run Sky's traction bar, but it kept ripping holes in the axle housing.
Too hot a weld, I guess.
When I went to the YJ's, I used 2 sets of 4 leaf springs for the rear. I cut the eyes off one set of main leafs. These went under the eye leaf on the 2nd set. Then I cut the 2nd leaf from the 1st set off so there was 1/2" or so behind the spring plate. This went on the top of the eye leaf, so directly over the axle I have a 6 leaf, but maintain pretty much all my flex, and no axle wrap.

·
Registered
455 Posts
zukfreak56 said:
build a trac bar or make one its the only way to go i promise
what the hell do you know about trac bars? KIDS :flipoff2: It's probably past his bed time.

anyway, Sam's Off-Road in Tulsa Ok.makes a killer trac bar also,(for the money) It comes w/ the axle brackets and the traction bar has a johny-joint at the top. usually has several in stock w/ different color powder coating. good luck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Loser

chuck you crack me up your 30 some years old and all you can do in your poor pitiful life is talk bad about kids who just give input hmm sounds like someone missed out on some of their childhood so they have to make fun of others...so basically all i can tell you is :flipoff2: and keep telling people how crooked you and your shop is...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts