Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the feedback. I think it would be a good axle for my intended use, but yea availability is a factor.
I actually went to the junkyard today to see what they had, the one 97 was already robbed though.
Keep in mind Isuzu is bastard child at this point. They ended their agreement with GM and that means the domestic supply of parts is pretty limited. I guess with the internet being what it is now it's not as hard to find things, but I remember having to search high and low just to find the correct companion flange to run the early 12 bolt axle.

That said they build good stuff.

Does rock auto not exist in canada? Any axle you should reseal, brakes, then run for 100k.
Find me a selectable locker for that axle. K thanks.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Yup the '64
I have the adapter for the w59? transmission and plan on using as much of the donor vehicle that I can, to get away from 1960s (brake) technology and parts availability.

Stock 22re? That would be a G58, bastard 22re to chain drive case. Probably fine for putting around though.

What about dropping the whole body on the 4runner frame? IFS scout would be kinda gay, but you could always SAS it at some point.

Keep in mind Isuzu is bastard child at this point. They ended their agreement with GM and that means the domestic supply of parts is pretty limited. I guess with the internet being what it is now it's not as hard to find things, but I remember having to search high and low just to find the correct companion flange to run the early 12 bolt axle.

That said they build good stuff.

Find me a selectable locker for that axle. K thanks.
Did ARB discontinue the locker for that axle? My buddy had one in his 89 amigo. :confused:

I do agree, they're good axles, but not good enough to deal with the lack of availability and support.

JK axles, boring, but the smart choice.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did ARB discontinue the locker for that axle? My buddy had one in his 89 amigo. :confused:

I do agree, they're good axles, but not good enough to deal with the lack of availability and support.

JK axles, boring, but the smart choice.
They discontinued the one for the later 12 bolt, the RD80 I think it was. The early one they still make. The later axle is pretty rare to the best of my knowledge, not many years of production and they used the D44 in a larger proportion of the vehicles built in those years.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is there a SF 14 bolt that's not like 67" wide?
Yep, 88-98 C2500 (2wd 6 lug 3/4 ton) are 65” WMS 9.75” SF 14 bolt 6 on 5.5”

If you didn’t live all the way over in west Canuckistan, I have one sitting in my excess spare axle stash (also have an extra 65” Ford 9”). They aren’t too hard to find though, I’ve had 2 of them from parts trucks.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yep, 88-98 C2500 (2wd 6 lug 3/4 ton) are 65” WMS 9.75” SF 14 bolt 6 on 5.5”

If you didn’t live all the way over in west Canuckistan, I have one sitting in my excess spare axle stash (also have an extra 65” Ford 9”). They aren’t too hard to find though, I’ve had 2 of them from parts trucks.
Do the disk brakes from the later ones bolt on to them? Or are the later ones with disk brakes all 8 lug? The 8 lug version in my 1500HD has meaty brakes on it that work quite well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do the disk brakes from the later ones bolt on to them? Or are the later ones with disk brakes all 8 lug? The 8 lug version in my 1500HD has meaty brakes on it that work quite well.
I’ll be running one in my 84 C1500 with a 6 lug K2500 front rotor and a universal weld on caliper mount (NV4500 tailhousing has parking brake).

There are disc braked 6 lug 9.75” in some of the 99-current 1/2 tons. They are wider as GM stopped making 2wd and 4wd specific axles. I’m not sure if the later brakes bolt up to the earlier axle, but at the worst it’s probably welding on a new bracket to the tube. GM didn’t tend to go crazy on mounting patterns for pickup brakes over the years.

If you want measurements from the drum braked axle I can measure up my spare axle.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If you want measurements from the drum braked axle I can measure up my spare axle.
Nah, it's fine. I don't think I'd go that route.

I'm mostly torn between building a shaved HP D60 rear or just using the gheykay axles like I'd originally proposed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What about dropping the whole body on the 4runner frame? IFS scout would be kinda gay, but you could always SAS it..
I asked my cousin/wife and she said that would be too trashy :flipoff2:

This is just going to be a smog exempt little budget beater. You know how those get outta control though. I really like the idea of disc brakes all around. Hell I even checked out a few older volvo disc rear axles (basicly a Dana 30) yesterday.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Saw JLR takeouts for $3500.
That's like $8000 Canadian now, because when they print money in the US their dollar doesn't devalue, but when they do it in Canada it does. :confused:

I'm fairly somewhat maybe thinking about being definitely sold perhaps on building a 44/60 hybrid. I don't need the D60 outers, but I don't have any 8 lug D44 parts, and I want to go 8 lug so it's at least a bolt pattern that interchanges with my other stuff.

Anyone know the cheapest way to convert a 78 F-150 D44 front to 8 lug? Are the spindles the same? Calipers? Caliper mounts (are they integrated in the knuckle?)? Knuckles? I see I can buy the hub/rotor as an assembly on RockAuto.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
That's like $8000 Canadian now, because when they print money in the US their dollar doesn't devalue, but when they do it in Canada it does. :confused:

I'm fairly somewhat maybe thinking about being definitely sold perhaps on building a 44/60 hybrid. I don't need the D60 outers, but I don't have any 8 lug D44 parts, and I want to go 8 lug so it's at least a bolt pattern that interchanges with my other stuff.

Anyone know the cheapest way to convert a 78 F-150 D44 front to 8 lug? Are the spindles the same? Calipers? Caliper mounts (are they integrated in the knuckle?)? Knuckles? I see I can buy the hub/rotor as an assembly on RockAuto.
Guess you're running the queer radius arms as well? Because that housing is garbage.

You buy a 8 lug 10B for $100 and swap the outers. But that adds roughly. 75" per side.

Dont know why youd need 8 lugs for a softcore build. Spill the beans, what's the chassis/body that makes anything less than 63" irrelevant.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Guess you're running the queer radius arms as well? Because that housing is garbage.

You buy a 8 lug 10B for $100 and swap the outers. But that adds roughly. 75" per side.

Dont know why youd need 8 lugs for a softcore build. Spill the beans, what's the chassis/body that makes anything less than 63" irrelevant.
I'm going to retube it. And while I'm probably going to run some fully gay radius arms, which is entirely for packaging reasons, I'm not going to use Ford parts.

Finding any used SA stuff that isn't Superduties or ZJ parts seems to be hard now. :laughing: I have a set of GM "small bearing" spindles and some hubs for god knows what reason, plus one knuckle they fit on (maybe another is around). It was part of a package deal of used crap I bought. Is that crap the same so if I just found some hubs I could go 8 lug? The myriad of shitty D44 parts options has always confused me.

8 lugs is because if I can't fit 5x5 (JK pattern) then I might as well go with the other bolt pattern I have in my fleet. Currently I have 3 8x6.5 vehicles, and a spare set of wheels in that pattern which are dimensionally perfect for what I want to do.

It's a Comanche. I explained that before. It's just being built differently than you normally would, as a result of everything I felt I did wrong with the current Comanche.

It also occurred to me that I have a D44 Zip locker that can be harvested from the other build for this.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
41 - 55 of 55 Posts