Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new third with a detroit locker in it for my 85 toyota pickup. Installed the new third, then when to slide the axles back in, but they stop about 1/8-1/4 of an inch before going all the way in. I know the splines are going in because you can spin the pinion and the shafts spin, but something is stoping them from going all the way in...

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Do I need to have the axle shafts cut shorter? and if I do can I cut/grind them myself, and with that tool, or should I have a machine shop do it?

Thanks for any advise you might be able to give this newb!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Do not cut they axles. They should work. Are they mar-tacked? If so the mar-tac may be messing you up. I would checl to see if the knuckle fits anyway and then go from there. Maybe your splines are messed up... I would also suggest calling wherever you bought the third.

Oh yeah, check my sig for AZ run info and stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I bet I know what it is.....the martack is too HIGH.....even if the martack is located in the right spot, it may need to be ground about flush with the splines. Otherwise it will not clear the sidegear hole diameter(more than 20 thou high will touch the sidegear as I measured it).

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
ZUK said:
I bet I know what it is.....the martack is too HIGH.....even if the martack is located in the right spot, it may need to be ground about flush with the splines. Otherwise it will not clear the sidegear hole diameter(more than 20 thou high will touch the sidegear as I measured it).

I thought of this too but then the axles would have fit all the way in his original carrier either.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I was thinking that raised welds would cause more like a full inch not to go in so maybe that's not it.....but shibby may have forgotten to tell us the whole history on the axles/3rd......

interesting....all 3 of us are in the phx area...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I bet it's a rear axle.....so what he is experiencing is not a prob at all....just normal. Happened to me. THere is no fix....tighten the bolts up evenly checking for binding of the axle while doing it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yep, I just assumed it was front. Just tighten criss cross and slowly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, maybe me and my buddy are dumb, but we got them in. It was the rear, and what we had to end up doing is pull the drums off, for some odd reason, with the drums removed the axles would slide all the way in. I do not know why this is, maybe someone can explain it for me? Anyway, the locker works great, can't wait to take it off road :smokin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts