Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would have the best prices for axle shafts to do a FF conversion on an old d44? I have all the other parts.

Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
190 Posts
The best price is probably 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse. They have a complete set: hubs, brgs, seals, axles, everything you need. It is by far not the best quality. The axles are very marginal. What you should do is order the hub kit from them, not in catalog, but part number 'A-45'. If you call the 4 Wheel Parts catalog ordering and tell them the number they will sent it. I do not remember the price. Then go go Dutchman for axles. I suggest the one piece with flange. Unless you want to install locking hubs.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Moser. I assume I'm building the same home brew FF rear. D44/d25 spindles and hubs? Moser should be able to build you the shafts pretty reasonably.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I had in mind Chuck. Got to reading Vern's writeup and it looks alot more sturdy and fairly simple. I'll check Moser and Dutchman out.

Thanks
Keith

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
One thing to keep in mind.....brought up in a recent thread..... if you are buying the standard axles from moser and dutchmann, you are getting spicer blanks. Just so you know. They both offer alloys. Moser has the 1541 alloy and Dutchman has the 4140 alloy. Warn has the 4340 alloy

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
The Warn alloys are the best in my opinion. The moser's have a little bit of a softer core, which increases the number of life cycles for the axle, but most axle breakage imo happens on a one time stress overload. To combat this the Warn's are better. Dutchman's are very similar to the Warn's, and can make them in custom lengths. Warn's only come in stock widths

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: RCKRATZ ]

·
Registered
365 Posts
4340 is a better/stronger/more expensive material than 1541. 1541 is good stuff, but still a ways below 4340.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Kinda thought it might be that way. Just wasn't sure and didn't know why.

Keith

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Keith Haw ]

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
My offset 44 used 30 spindles/hubs with the flanged axles. My axles were from Moser.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: 66CJdean ]

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Keith,
I was considering doing something similar. I was thinking of using 30 spline D60 FF shafts, then cut off the flange and have it resplined. From what I understand, the size is actually the same. You could also use a regular flanged D44 axle if it were long enough. Dr. Vern cut down his long side shaft for the short side, and used a long side D41 shaft from a Willys wagon in his conversion. Of course it wouldn't be as strong as the moser or dutchman, but would be lots cheaper.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Grandpa_Jeep ]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Grandpa_Jeep. I don't know why but, even after reading Vern's writeup,that never even entered my mind. The 60 shafts should be more than enought for the flatty. Also have a few old 44's in parts sitting around I can still the shafts from.

Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts