Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be possibly getting a large number of these axles from an upcoming auction. This thread is for further discussion and not to continue to hijack spineybent's thread...

SVT

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If you can get that many trucks and trailers together to pull it off, more power too ya. I have hauled more than a few loads out of there and it never goes as quick as I think it should.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean. The DOD work on their own schedule. I might get a forklift at their yard to shorten load times, if I can get away with it...

SVT

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I saw some conversation in the other thread but how are you going to get around the mutilation aspect? I think it's a shame to destroy all those axles but if that's what they want how do you get around it? Is that just one of those ignored rules?

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Seems to me the mutilation aspect could be interpreted as "modified to be unusable as originally intended" aka cut off the spring perches or other "factory" mounts and you can avoid only being able to cut them up for scrap.

But I really have no idea, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
They actually let the buyer do the mutilation? I'd have thought they would have their people do it to make sure it's rendered unusable in their eyes.

If they leave it to you, go ahead and mutilate the brakes. Make a real visual mess of them. Not like anyone here intends to reuse those anyway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It defi itely would be a shame to have to mutilate them, but what better way than under our trucks and buggies? Lol Trust me guys, there will be a few trucks lost in transit if it comes to destroying them. But check this out, i believe there is a grey area here. Taken from the auction listing "All scrap under this contract requires mutilation by the buyer. Mutilation must be witnessed and certified by DOD personnel at another facility. Title to the material does not transfer to buyer until scrap has been mutilated."
For one, it states "all scrap". I see it as these are useable, it doesn't state that the listing "must be scrapped" or "is to be used only as scrap". Second, mutilation must take place at another facility, meaning they would have to track each and every load, which wont happen. Out of 6,000,000 lbs, I'm sure i can "misplace" 150,000 lbs of it (aproximately 100 axles, out of an aproximate 4260 axles), which i could do in 2-3 truckloads...

SVT

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hopefully you can save them. If you can, you can sweep the mud truck market off it's feet if you sell them at the right price and develop an aftermarket to support them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ten four Ranger . I'll be in touch , im gonna see if i can get sum of these hillbillys round here exicited about em n maybe we'll jusf take a ride over the mountain to ya with a gooseneck . I just saw you were in Tn . Dont know why i was thinkin you were in Iowa ...doh . thanx buddy . Matt

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swampratt, right now they're in Oklahoma City, OK (about 8-10 hours west of me). They'll be there for about a month or so while I get them moved over here. I have at least one guy that's an OTR driver that will be delivering for me, i might get a second driver. If you can wait a few weeks, like around November, they'll be ready for pickup (and can also be prepped, debraked, etc). Otherwise, i can put you in line for delivery...

SVT

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds good Ranger ! Gives me time to get my shit together , and take orders so the trip will pay for itself to your batcave . Hell Nashville aint but about 7 hrs just easin along . Let us know if you win the auction n good luck !

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope to win the auction as well to save these things. I don't have an unlimited budget, but i do have a solid plan. I'll keep you updated...

SVT

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey bud not to discourage u but there is gonna be some big bidders on that lot, I thought bout it and was looking at bidding 150-200k , but that's not gonna touch it, the. Ur gonna have expense of prob 120 or so loads.

I got 4 of these axles 1 pair for a mud truck and one pair for my family rig to replace my money pit, look like there gonna work great!! Can't wait to get started. If u decide to get rid of some lmk I might have to meet u and get another pair before u head home since place is only 1 hr from me lol.

But back to what I was saying it's gonna be high dollar lot

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm hoping that due to the large volume and short 70 hour timeframe to move them, that it'll deter most bidders. But I'll keep you in mind...

SVT

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I'm out, just hit 76,000. I knew it would be a slim chance, but you don't know if you don't try...

SVT

1 - 20 of 43 Posts