Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to get some ASAP so the guy can weld them on this weekend. Ill call around tomorrow and see, just getting a heads up. CJ5 or CJ7? as well... Later, Tom

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm unclear, why do you need CJ shackles for the chevy swap? Do you mean the CJ shackle mount dealy? If that's what you mean I'd say 4Wheelers Supply would be your best bet. They always seem to have Jeep stuff when I need it. If you mean shackles then I recomend Davis Salvage to get some strap steel and a drill for the 8 holes. Copperstate nut and bolt would have the hardware. You'll spend $40+ on some premeade shackles or ~an hour to make your own. What exactly are you after? There are tons of ways to mount the chevy springs. I just use a piece of 3.5x3.5x.25 box tubing with the bottom cut out and a stock chevy shackle. If you didn't get the shackle with your springs you can usually get them for free from shops that install lowering shackles on Chevys.

Travis

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I used CJ shackle mounts (welded to the frame), and then put the stock chevy shackle so it laid flat against the frame. Then I bought some 1.25" lift YJ shackles from Desert Rat (I have another set brand new if you are interested, $35), and then the spring bolted to the YJ shackle.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K, well I wanted the spring hangers. Dont know why I put shackles. McSoo, since I was looking at you to weld those suckers on, it would be helpful if I could get those shackles off you as well. Where did you get your hangers from, what about the bolts for the shackles?
I still need to get the springs. Ill send you a PM when I find out for sure. Later, TOm

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've seen the shackle hangers at 4wheelparts, Desert Rat, and Offroad Unlimited. Never seen the front spring hanger though... :( I just drilled a piece of 4x4x.250 box tube and used that...

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I wouldn't use those POS hangers unless you don't want to wheel it hard. Make some out of minimum 3/16" material and ramp them in the front so you can at least slide off them. A premade shackle hanger with an open front with 63" long springs is nothing but bad news. The real trick is to french them into the frame, but that's probably not gonna happen in your case.
I used to hang up on my hangers all the time even with a 45 degree ramp. I'll be frenching them into the frame shortly, just need to remove a few hundred pounds of exo and bodywork to gain access. Hopefully I'll be there by Friday. If you can wait a few more weeks I'll give you my hangers and bolts, I'll just cut them out of the frame and you can grind them back into shape.
What are you planning on doing for shocks, mounts, u bolts, etc.. Make sure this little project is planned out well if it's your daily driver.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I gotta agree with Pmurf... I DEFINITLY gotta figure out a way of making the angle much less severe. It helps that the hanger is pretty far back, and really only about 1/2-1" below the frame, but that's still too much. I guess I should fix that..

·
5,599 Posts
McSoo said:
I gotta agree with Pmurf... I DEFINITLY gotta figure out a way of making the angle much less severe. It helps that the hanger is pretty far back, and really only about 1/2-1" below the frame, but that's still too much. I guess I should fix that..
Mike, do you have a pic of your front leaf hangers?

You did "shackle reversal" shackle in the rear throught the frame on your front?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts