Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Melted a shifter cable on my last ride. It was very close to the exhaust at one point. I'm curious if you guys think it will survive like this, or if I should think up something else. The shield is a piece of aluminum. There's only about 3/8" between the shield and the cable.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Put a washer or two between the exhaust clamp and aluminum plate. There needs to be an air gap for the shield to be effective, otherwise it's just going to absorb the heat.

Also put some firesleeve over the cable.

search mcmaster for "flame resistant sleeve"

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

There is about a 1/4" - 5/16" gap there.Do you think I need more? B&m specifically states not to wrap the cable because it retains heat.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant between the clamps. A heat shield works by creating an air gap for the heat to dissipate through. With that much surface contact between the clamps and aluminum, the shield will act as a heat sink and draw heat through the clamps.

As for wrapping, I think they mean the heat tape. I could see where that could retain heat. I had the same problem with art-carr shifter cables burning up, and I slid some of that orange flame sleeve over it. Solved the issue completely.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would simply heat wrap the exhaust. You can buy woven exhaust wraps at just about every parts store and they aren't expensive. I've wrapped mine in areas and there is no heat transfer there at all.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I had the same problem with art-carr shifter cables burning up, and I slid some of that orange flame sleeve over it. Solved the issue completely.
x2. Melted my Winters cable. Bought a single sleeve meant for plug wires off ebay for about $7 and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant between the clamps. A heat shield works by creating an air gap for the heat to dissipate through. With that much surface contact between the clamps and aluminum, the shield will act as a heat sink and draw heat through the clamps.

As for wrapping, I think they mean the heat tape. I could see where that could retain heat. I had the same problem with art-carr shifter cables burning up, and I slid some of that orange flame sleeve over it. Solved the issue completely.
Thanks Chris. I should have realized that you were referring to clamp / shield contact. That's my fault. Good eye!!! I put a couple of washers between the clamps and the shield and also wrapped the exhaust in that area. I've read mixed comments on the wrap, so I guess I'll see.

Thanks for the replies

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Off topic but any chance you have pics or some input of how that atlas and 4l60e are mated together?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts