Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Designed to fit a 14BFF axle and easily adapted to fit under most vehicles. To date we've built the crossmember to fit 67 - 91 full size chevy's. Theres a couple guys that have bought them for jeeps and we helped them get the crossmember right but never heard back how it worked out.

Here's a couple shots of the back bone portion and a couple shots of the Wraptor anti wrap bar.

DIY 4x :: Drivetrain :: Backbone Truss system 14BFF - For use without Guardsman

The backbone and Wraptor are listed seperately on the website.

DIY 4x :: Suspension :: WRAPTOR Anti-wrap System

The backbone itself is essentially an axle truss. We have set this up to incorporate link attachment points as well as our own anti wrap bar so this can also be custom tailored. Tied in to the pinion housing and the diff cover surface. The axle clamps themselves are an extremely tight fit and use grade 9 hardware.

Available with or without the Guardsman pinion guard.

The warptor anti wrap bar is attached to the frame via a 6" wristed shackle and crossmember. This provides optimum misalignment when your flexing it hard! All our testing... it absolutely will not hinder flex.

Won't be too long and you'll be seeing some more pictures of this on Pirate.

The Original Guardsman! 1/2" thick steel construction and the pieces are milled to fit together and provide the ultimate joint strength.

DIY 4x :: Drivetrain :: Guardsman Pinion Guard

Available for the 14BFF and Ford 9" axles. We also have a Beta release for the old Eaton axle.

All of these clear 1410 ujoints without yoke removal.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
I got one of these for a K5 project we're building (71 with one tons).

After receiving it, I want the full set up for the Dog, too.

Truly a nice system: I do have a couple of tweaks though. I would like to make the pinion bracket part of the pinion guard. Like we did on the k5, I'd also like the lower shock mounts to be a part of the lower clamp.

Thanks, Kert.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear you are happy with the product Grendel.

All of what you have suggested is doable for sure.

Only reason we left the pinion guard a seperate piece, for the guys that have already purchased the pinion guard. Not difficult to put the two together though!

I wish we had talked about shock mounts previous to the original shipment. I think we got ya taken care of though. :) Your original lower clamp halves will end up on my dually! Like the dually needs and anti wrap bar!:D

This system is pretty extensive guys! Let me know what you are trying to accomplish and ask lots of questions. Theres lots of things we can do with this kit.

4 link mounts can be built in, upper and lower no problem.
Shock mounts can be built in. The eye can be parallel or perpendiular to the axle.
What I'm trying to say is there's lots of options!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uda,

PM sent.

Dana 60 one is on the drawing board. Could be a little while though.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Can you PM me a price on the ring and the lillte bracket its bolted to? I have my truss and link bracket already I just need to tie it into the ring..

Thanks Do you have a ring for a D60? If so lemme have a price on it as well.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
The other thing, this system isn't Chevy only:

here's one installed in my YJ on XJ springs, with a Corp 14B rear.

Kert built this one with a pinion guard (Guardian) built into the truss plate and built in shock mounts.

No Wrap. No suspension hindrance. You can also see that we frenched the springs into the frame, this is a fairly low slung Jeep!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've added some options to these to save you guys some of your hard earned cash.

Weld to the axle tube rather than clamp on and save $85.00!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kert I see you built one of these units for Grendel's YJ.
I have a CJ with XJ springs on a 14 bolt and was interested in one of your units. How much would something like this cost for a CJ? I'm assuming that it would be the same as Grendels, correct? I like how the pinion gaurd is built into the truss.
Thanks in advance, Keith.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kert I see you built one of these units for Grendel's YJ.
I have a CJ with XJ springs on a 14 bolt and was interested in one of your units. How much would something like this cost for a CJ? I'm assuming that it would be the same as Grendels, correct? I like how the pinion gaurd is built into the truss.
Thanks in advance, Keith.

Pretty much the same. Only real difference in setting it up for you CJ is the crossmember, which may be the same as Grendel's. Perhaps width of the Back Bone truss depending on your perch spacing and that sort of thing. Call me, we'll set it up.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
Pretty much the same. Only real difference in setting it up for you CJ is the crossmember, which may be the same as Grendel's. Perhaps width of the Back Bone truss depending on your perch spacing and that sort of thing. Call me, we'll set it up.
Crossmember would be different as the CJ frame is narrower. It is boxed, like a YJ frame though.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crossmember would be different as the CJ frame is narrower. It is boxed, like a YJ frame though.

Both good and bad there. Crossmember could be tucked up inside of a boxed frame pretty easily. Also would require drilling through both sides and sliding in some bushings to weld into the frame to keep it from crushing under bolt tension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im wondering how this setup affects the compresion of the suspension. does it inhibit uptravel at all? I am building a similar system and want to get the full amount of travel up and down and still get rid of any axle wrap. All traction bar and lader bar sets I have seen restrict your suspension travel one way or another. I have a set of L&L ladder bars and a set of Rancho traction bars and do not want to use either just for those reasons. I have 4.88 gears lockers and six inch springs on my Blazer and I want to eliminate axle wrap without sacrificing any travel. Any help on this would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Both good and bad there. Crossmember could be tucked up inside of a boxed frame pretty easily. Also would require drilling through both sides and sliding in some bushings to weld into the frame to keep it from crushing under bolt tension.
The rear of my CJ frame is long gone:D, It is 2x4 tubing from the behind the front seats, planned on going coilovers until I seen how well the XJ springs perform, but the only problem being axel wrap, and it seems like you have the cure for this.The frame is 33.5" inside, I have not made a crossmember for the t-case yet. Making crush sleevees are no problem, but would it be better to weld a seperate crossmeber in for the traction bar, or just bolt one in. I'm good either way.

Grendel do you have any pics of your crossmember on your YJ? Is your traction bar crossmember attached to your skidplate, or is it a seperate crossmember? I'm sure I could make a unit like yours work on my rig with a little work.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
The rear of my CJ frame is long gone:D, It is 2x4 tubing from the behind the front seats, planned on going coilovers until I seen how well the XJ springs perform, but the only problem being axel wrap, and it seems like you have the cure for this.The frame is 33.5" inside, I have not made a crossmember for the t-case yet. Making crush sleevees are no problem, but would it be better to weld a seperate crossmeber in for the traction bar, or just bolt one in. I'm good either way.

Grendel do you have any pics of your crossmember on your YJ? Is your traction bar crossmember attached to your skidplate, or is it a seperate crossmember? I'm sure I could make a unit like yours work on my rig with a little work.
Should be easy enough then. I'll tell you, I love my XJ springs, I have 16" of travel in the front and my rear isn't that far behind. My cross member through bolts into the frame and the skid plate bolts onto it.. I prefer removable cross members, myself... makes getting components like my T-case out far easier.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts