Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine put a lockright in the rear end. It's been in since the fall and now you can turn the rear driveshaft about 1/3 of a turn before the gears grab to drive the axels.

I've told him he should take it apart before he blows the whole thing up but he won't. Am I right?

I did the search thing and found some info but I'm not too familiar with lockers.

92 zukimoo with piston #3 gone, 87 tin top, 86 soft top all covered in road salt.......

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Factory Back lash is 4 to 6 thousanths you can set them up 6-10 without a prob. but turning the flange for a feel is not accurate. if hes that concerned yes pul them and check with a dial indicator. but thats the only way to know. and if he not concerned and they blow you told him so

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
a lockright installed right isn't going to affect your backlash..

however you will feel lots more slop after a lockright due to the play in the lockright itself.. feeling play by using the driveshaft isn't too scientific anyways..

·
Registered
585 Posts
That is about right. As long as there is not in/out or left/right play in the pinion you should be just fine. Rotational slop is normal for lockrites. The manual states that :D
JUST to make sure, drain the diff fluid, if there's lots of metal flakes, might want to take'er apart, fix the broken/worn stuff and go to synthetic oil :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
pull out the fill plug and pour in 8oz of gun powder then thread in 3' of blasting fuse leaving 2' hanging out light and run like hell it ....moral of this ...blow it at home when it's convenient and call it good.... it was going to blow sooner or later... better to blow it at home so you dont get stranded

:flipoff2:
:flipoff2: Aw cmon I was just kidding..he he

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Nowhere said:
if there's lots of metal flakes, might want to take'er apart, fix the broken/worn stuff and go to synthetic oil :D
Synthetic wont do shit for if you have other problems. :D

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
The only way that you could have excess backlash is through

1. normal wear
2. Didn't set the carrier bearing back to the correct position when reinstalling carrier
3. Didn't replace the tab that keeps the carrier bearing cap from rotating.

Also if you've got problems with your pinion (slop due to junked bearings) that would allow for excess backlash.

If it recently became a problem, I would pull it out and go through it before it leaves you stranded. I don't of anyone who carries a spare third member out on the trail.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You boobs. The backlash (on the pinion gear to ring gear relevence) does not appear to be relevent here.
The lockrite adds slop/play/move movement/whatever to the drive line system (driveshaft, pinion, ring gear, carrier housing + innards, bearings, axles tires, etc).
I just found mine to be about 1/4 or so ish there bouts of a turn before the rear end "catches" and will move forward or backwards.
Do a search on google for lockrite slop or detroit slop..

*****Change your oil though, if there are heavy metal flakes, there indeed may be something wrong******

BUT specificiciciciciifiiicifcicfifcifallllly (sp? :D) pertaning to the 1/3 turn on the d-shaft, that seems perfectly normal.

If the pinion was sloppy, it'd only add like another 10* to the total rotational movement IF that!

The backlash is the marriage of the pinion to the ring gear measurements if that makes sence.
:D

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Nowhere said:
You boobs. The backlash (on the pinion gear to ring gear relevence) does not appear to be relevent here.
The lockrite adds slop/play/move movement/whatever to the drive line system (driveshaft, pinion, ring gear, carrier housing + innards, bearings, axles tires, etc).
I just found mine to be about 1/4 or so ish there bouts of a turn before the rear end "catches" and will move forward or backwards.
Do a search on google for lockrite slop or detroit slop..

*****Change your oil though, if there are heavy metal flakes, there indeed may be something wrong******

BUT specificiciciciciifiiicifcicfifcifallllly (sp? :D) pertaning to the 1/3 turn on the d-shaft, that seems perfectly normal.

If the pinion was sloppy, it'd only add like another 10* to the total rotational movement IF that!

The backlash is the marriage of the pinion to the ring gear measurements if that makes sence.
:D
Ah your partially correct Backalsh has alot to do with it
1) backlash is the amont the pinion moves from heel to toe on the ring gear before the ring gear moves. so if the the tires are on the ground and you turned the pinion flange from heel to toe without moving the ring, and there is alot of play a couple thing could have happened mind it is not the correct way of checking accuratly.
1- when it was originally installed the preload on the ring was set improper so the natural force of the pinion turning pushes the ring further away from the gear causing a wider span more play, larger Backlash and then the hole differential is alloewd to wander between the races(ie) will eventially cause a problem.
2- back lash is correct and when the flange is turned you are gonig from heel to toe and feeling the ring gear start to move before it stops when it starts to bind on the spline of the shafts not being allowed to turn cause the tire are on the ground. (ie) not a prob unless the original back lash was set incorret and now after driving who know how many miles the gears are worn beyond the spec causing a larger back lash.:D :D

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
That slop sounds about right. The detroit e-z lockers in my rig are just like what you describe. If you rotate the pinion gear very softly, you should feel the pinion/ring gear backlash. After that, it's all locker slop. It may be a little noisy and kind of hard on drivetrain parts, but that seems to be the nature of the beast.
Travis..

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ah your partially correct Backalsh has alot to do with it
1) backlash is the amont the pinion moves from heel to toe on the ring gear before the ring gear moves. so if the the tires are on the ground and you turned the pinion flange from heel to toe without moving the ring, and there is alot of play a couple thing could have happened mind it is not the correct way of checking accuratly.
1- when it was originally installed the preload on the ring was set improper so the natural force of the pinion turning pushes the ring further away from the gear causing a wider span more play, larger Backlash and then the hole differential is alloewd to wander between the races(ie) will eventially cause a problem.
2- back lash is correct and when the flange is turned you are gonig from heel to toe and feeling the ring gear start to move before it stops when it starts to bind on the spline of the shafts not being allowed to turn cause the tire are on the ground. (ie) not a prob unless the original back lash was set incorret and now after driving who know how many miles the gears are worn beyond the spec causing a larger back lash.
:D [/B]
The amount of backlash is minescule compared to the slop in a lockrite or a detroit. The backlash would be maybe 10* of rotational movement (very very very very very very little compared to the 120* (1/3 turn) of slop on the drivetrane) and could not be over say 20*, unless teeth are missing (numbers are thrown out, no REAL idea of typical * of backlash (ring to pinion only). Note, * is degreese (sp?)
What I just noted is ONLY the relationship between the pinion gear and the ring gear, nothing else (bearings, carrier, this that, etc...).
Crashnzuk is right, if you're SUPER gentle and have good fingers that can feel a no-seum land on them (hehe, dam noseums!!) then you could feel the pininon gear rotate back and forth on a STATIONARY ring gear. Now that I think about it more, 20* of backlash on the pinion to ring is WAAAAAAAAY too much, it's more like 5* or so, if even that much!
:p

·
Registered
216 Posts
0,006" for R&P

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Something I forgot to mention.

Slop in the drive line can be caused by worn axle splines and worn side gears.

As nowhere said, we've been talking about backlash and talking about general driveline slop.

The backlash gives the driveline some play (0.006 to 0.010-inch), more with excessive wear.

For example:
I rebuilt a ford 9-inch rear, replaced all the bearings and seals, and replaced the clutches and springs in the trac-lock.
I reset the R&P with 0.007-inch backlash (that's tight for a used gear set).

I put it back together and still had alot of slop in the drive line.
??????? WTF
The problem was in the spider gears, side gears, and axle splines.
I replaced the axles and it helped quite a bit.

So, the bottom line is backlash is the space between the R&P and only minorly contributes to the "slop" in the driveline.
And through my experience, the axle splines and side gears seem to contribute the most.

I would have to sit down and look at a rear to determine what component in a lock right would actually wear and cause slop, most likely the cross pin. (I have taken mine apart and there was no visible sign of where on the lock-right any where).

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Run it, it´s perfectly normal...........

Did you dumfawks even open the installation manual?!?!?
:rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
585 Posts
GBRAVO said:
For example:
I rebuilt a ford 9-inch rear, replaced all the bearings and seals, and replaced the clutches and springs in the trac-lock.
I reset the R&P with 0.007-inch backlash (that's tight for a used gear set).

I put it back together and still had alot of slop in the drive line.
??????? WTF
The problem was in the spider gears, side gears, and axle splines.
I replaced the axles and it helped quite a bit.

So, the bottom line is backlash is the space between the R&P and only minorly contributes to the "slop" in the driveline.
And through my experience, the axle splines and side gears seem to contribute the most.

I would have to sit down and look at a rear to determine what component in a lock right would actually wear and cause slop, most likely the cross pin. (I have taken mine apart and there was no visible sign of where on the lock-right any where).
Still though, the backlash would cause SUPER minute (small) amounts of rotational slop. The lockrite locker SPECIFICALY ADDS LOTS AND LOTS of slop (1/4 turn before the rear end "catches") because of its design.
Oridginal poster, since you're complaning/noting the excessive rotational slop (vs. a stock samurai that does not have a locker, I'd PRESUME!!) of 1/3 turn with a locker, we have noted the lockrite lockers do add lots of rotational slop to a rear end.
Backlash is irrielevent to that much rotational slop.
If there is any in/out or left/right slop on the pinion flange, that's another story.
*Just to make sure things are ok, change that oil!*
Lots of backlash slop (.1" or something horendus like that) is really bad, but with a locker present, one could EASILY miss/confuse the locker slop in the drive trane vs. the pinion to ring gear backlash slop (if it were to be excessive).
Change your oil, post your results, kill this :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
SilverZuk said:
Something I forgot to mention.
Slop in the drive line can be caused by worn axle splines and worn side gears.
Yip, my axle splines wore down to the point where they started to skip :eek: changed my axles and all was good.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
MuddMachine said:

Yip, my axle splines wore down to the point where they started to skip :eek: changed my axles and all was good.

Holy shite!!!!!!!:eek:

What you call "wore down", I´d call "completely fawking broke"...........:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts