Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if anyone still makes/sells these? You know the ones I am talking about are the little flux-core welders that look like a carryable jumper pack, or someguys even put them in backpacks, and carry them around...

I know Century used to make them, cause a friend had one, but I can't seem to find anyone that still makes one.. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine still has one that works great, but the brand that he has is no longer around:(

Someone still has to make one??

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I heard Hobart was making and testing one.
I guess its not out yet.
I asked on their BBS what the status is.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Does anyone know if anyone still makes/sells these? You know the ones I am talking about are the little flux-core welders that look like a carryable jumper pack, or someguys even put them in backpacks, and carry them around...

I know Century used to make them, cause a friend had one, but I can't seem to find anyone that still makes one.. Anyone know?
You used to be able to get them at lowes and home depot--but I haven't seen them in a long time....

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Hmm, I have one in the barn.. needs a new battery, from what I was told. Got it from a buddy, who I believe had it for out at Top Truck Challenge several years ago..(the yellow shortbox chevy that became the truck in the TTC compass logo...)...

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I've used a Readywelder...uses external 12v batteries, either 2 or 3. I did some repairs with only 2 batteries and it burned HOT!!!

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I have one that I bought at Harbor Freight a few years ago. I replaced the batteries less than a year ago and they are dead again even though I had them charged constantly. I moved away and haven't time to get back to the battery dealer to see why the batteries died. It is a slick unit when it works though...........

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
I've used a Readywelder...uses external 12v batteries, either 2 or 3. I did some repairs with only 2 batteries and it burned HOT!!!
it would be much better if you had a 12 volt and a 6 volt battery...but who wants to carry around a 6 volt battery...

24 volts is rediculous for 035 wire and the metal thickness repaired on most trail repairs...i just did a recent certification at work for this on 3/8ths plate and had the welder set at 19.0 volts and about 195 amps, verticle up...3 passes

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have one that I bought at Harbor Freight a few years ago. I replaced the batteries less than a year ago and they are dead again even though I had them charged constantly. I moved away and haven't time to get back to the battery dealer to see why the batteries died. It is a slick unit when it works though...........
The batteries died because you left them on charge constantly. Over charging them is just as bad as letting them sit there dead. It causes the lead plates in the battery to overheat and buckle. If you want to leave them on a charger all the time you've got to have something like a Battery Tender that won't over charge them.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Miller makes one too. It's in a Pelican case. It and the GoWeld ones are "backpack" you'll have to carry batteries for the GoWeld and have 120 or 230 for the Miller.

·
* The Printer *
18,158 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts