Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - just got an XJ on a 6.5" RC lift with 35/12.5/17s. Was swapping front ends today and discovered the wheels aren't even 5.45 - they're 5x5 with spacers/adapters on them. I'd really rather get the correctly backspaced wheels and not use spacers.

BUT

These wheels have 4.25" BS, and the adapters/spacers are 1 7/16 wide. If my math is right I'd need wheels with BS of 2 13/16 just to get back where I was; I would have liked another inch or so to cut down on rubbing but at this point I'd be happy just to stay where I was.

I'm having trouble finding 17/8 or 17/9 or whatever wheels with 3.5" BS, nevermind 3" - anybody have any ideas?? I mean if I absolutely have to run spacers, I will, but I'd really rather not.

Thanks a lot all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha thx man - at this point I'm thinking I may have to go to 15s to get 3.75" backspacing - just want to be sure I can still upgrade brakes and steering with 15s. Those would be easier with 17s but seems like I can't get enough BS to actually run them, and I've heard too much bad stuff about spacers.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,188 Posts
Hub centric wheel spacers are popular for a reason. No, they're not dangerous. Yes, they will solve your 17" wheel problem. No they're no harder on hub bearings or steering than a 3" BS rim.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,510 Posts
1. Reported.

2. You will need custom wheels most likely. TrailReady made me a set of custom beadlocks with 3.5” backspacing years ago. See what they offer.

3. Good spacers are fine

4. 15’s are dead. Big brake kits will likely need 16’s minimum. Tire choices are decreasing regularly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Wow - there is SO much hate for spacers on the other two big XJ sites - I mean SO much. Everybody says "just get the right wheels", which is great if they even EXIST but find me a 17" wheel that's got enough backspacing for me.

I had kind of settled on 15s just because steelies are so cheap and a lot of people told me 3.75 BS wouldn't rub 35s on 6.5" - wonder why some setups rub and some don't? I think once I get my new front end bolted up I'll put everything back together and just see exactly where it rubs now and how bad it is. I mean it really would be great to have 17s for the bigger brakes but I kind of hate to be paranoid about spacers for the rest of the time I own this thing......

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,510 Posts
Imo XJ’s, TJ’s and YJ’s on stock axles need spacers. Axles are too damn narrow. Get Synergy or Spidertrax hubcentrics, install w/ torque wrench and move on. JK 17’s are cheap and good quality.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,188 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Wow - there is SO much hate for spacers on the other two big XJ sites - I mean SO much. Everybody says "just get the right wheels", which is great if they even EXIST but find me a 17" wheel that's got enough backspacing for me.

I had kind of settled on 15s just because steelies are so cheap and a lot of people told me 3.75 BS wouldn't rub 35s on 6.5" - wonder why some setups rub and some don't? I think once I get my new front end bolted up I'll put everything back together and just see exactly where it rubs now and how bad it is. I mean it really would be great to have 17s for the bigger brakes but I kind of hate to be paranoid about spacers for the rest of the time I own this thing......
That's because the other forms are full of daily drivers and pavement rigs. The drivers have never trailered their rigs, knowing they would find the weak link. We've all beat the shit out of our spacer clad jeeps, just to realize the damn rim breaks before the spacer does. Plus we're not incompetent enough to let the damn things get loose. It's a nonsense issue. They install just like wheels. Do you fear your wheels coming loose?

Seriously I've even stacked spacers. It's not a problem. And I have a pretty hardcore XJ for being on stock axles.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.....that is an XJ??? And on STOCK axles??? Bruh. Seriously beautiful pic. I'm a LITTLE ways off from there just yet :)

OK, that's good to know - every forum has its particular flavor - nice to know you all aren't afraid to actually drive stuff. I'm loving my 95 XJ but Why in the Hell would anyone DD one of these - at least once it's begun to be modded.

Anyway, I think I might go to 15s just because the tires are so much cheaper - and I might get away with the 3.75" BS on 15x8 steelies. And if not, who cares, I'll throw spacers on, use a torque wrench, mark them with a paint pen, and check them every now and then and sleep like a baby. If I was DDing this ridiculous rig it would be one thing, but I'll be surprised if I need to change the oil before this time next year.

Thanks for the help, all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, seems like you all would be able to answer this - been hard to find steelies with less than 3.75" BS - just found these that you can order in 4", 3", or 2" BS, but says "strong enough for a 3500 lb. stock car" - you think these would be OK for an XJ with 35s??

If I could order the 2" I wouldn't have to buy spacers, though I'm not nervous about them anymore. But I sure could put that money somewhere else :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I was worried about that. Looks like I'll start with standard 15x8 3.75 steelies and just add spacers if I need to. This is NOT a mall crawler so I'll pull up my big girl panties and check the lugs every so often and THAT WILL BE THAT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts