Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i bought some wheels from a company for 50 bucks a wheel. they are 15 x 8, 3.25BS and are 8 lug. they are going on my chevy 60 front. well i go to put them on and they don't fit (i knew i would have to grind) and so i bust out the grinder and some paint to see where they are rubbing....

turns out that the wheels are rubbing on the face of the cal. (face meaning when looking at the cals the part that holds the pad agins the front of the rotor u shaped part) :mad: the only way to make them fit is to run 1/4" wheel spacers.

on further inspecting i noticed that the wheels look like they are made backward from every other wheel i have seen, what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I think I read in a post a few days ago that some wheels with little back spacing were wheels with the centers welded in backward. You can't grind enough off the caliper?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope...i would be grinding it in a very bad place to grind...look at pic

3.25 is a standard backspaceing is it not? it was on my 15 x 10 MT that i had....

edit: that is a test fit of the hub, i now have SWR hubs.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Looks like the standard way to get 3.25" backspacing on an 8-lug 15" wheel to me. Because of the shallow backspacing, the bell for the brake caliper, can't be on the inside--it won't allow the center to seat on the dropwell. This is why I do everything I can to avoid reversing a rimshell.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
I had the same problem. Custom ordered 3.5 BS from 4wpw, waited 4.5 months to get them, then got what you have. You would think they would let you know they were gonna do shit like that :mad2: They wont even fit over the drums on a rear 60 :rolleyes: I ended up going 2.75 :(

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
You'd think the mags could do an article on this instead of another soft top install or coverage of the poser rigs at SEMA.

This is a real problem faced by those of us who actually wheel hard enough to need a Dana 60, yet I had never heard of this problem before reading the thread that Jesse mentioned above.

So before I buy wheels for my 60, who can I go to so I can get a useable wheel?

I need 10"s but 2.75" BS is awful shallow. Does anyone offer a 3.5" BS wheel that's not reversed?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reddwarf said:
You'd think the mags could do an article on this instead of another soft top install or coverage of the poser rigs at SEMA.

This is a real problem faced by those of us who actually wheel hard enough to need a Dana 60, yet I had never heard of this problem before reading the thread that Jesse mentioned above.

So before I buy wheels for my 60, who can I go to so I can get a useable wheel?

I need 10"s but 2.75" BS is awful shallow. Does anyone offer a 3.5" BS wheel that's not reversed?
i am going to go with hummer rims next go round....that way i will have not clearance probs, (recentered)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Those are just reversemount wheels. You have to mount the tire onto the backside of the wheel rather than the front. Alot of highend wheels are like this for one reason or another. There's nothing wrong with the wheels.

If all you have to do to run them is run a 1/4" spacer, why not just do that? Seems like it would make things go pretty smooth. Or just grind the caliper down..

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
McSoo said:
Those are just reversemount wheels. You have to mount the tire onto the backside of the wheel rather than the front. Alot of highend wheels are like this for one reason or another. There's nothing wrong with the wheels.

If all you have to do to run them is run a 1/4" spacer, why not just do that? Seems like it would make things go pretty smooth. Or just grind the caliper down..
i didnt pay 50 bucks a wheel to run spacers, that is the point.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
that beast is flipped,

flipping the rimshell is bad IMO because you get the longer safety bead form the inside and put it on the outside (******* beadlocks)

BUT when you go to put your own beadlocks on it, then you are in trouble as your inner bead is only protected by the thinnest little bead and it will be fun to install tyres on it :eek:

·
Registered
540 Posts
BJ On Roids said:

BUT when you go to put your own beadlocks on it, then you are in trouble as your inner bead is only protected by the thinnest little bead and it will be fun to install tyres on it :eek:
OK I understand that the wheel is flipped. Could you explain WHY the tire would be harder to mount with a do-it-yourself beadlock welded on?

When mounting tires on beadlock rims, which side of the rim do you stick in the tire first? Just trying to understand this.:confused:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.