Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across a video where the upper link on a three link went towards the back of the truck instead of the front. Pretty nice for packaging, but not sure how it would cycle. What do the link experts have to say about this?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I've seen it on an air bagged suv before and it worked good with the limited wheel travel. Not sure how something with 18 in of travel would do with it

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not an expert on it and have not personally run one. However, I used to have a minitruck and regularly saw bagged trucks with this configuration (or 2 uppers going 'backwards'). It works very well for packaging on trucks since it usually means minimal change to exhaust and fuel systems...for small wheel travel. If you grab a compass and draw it, you will immediately see why it will not work for long travels. The pinion angle will radically point up/down as the suspension cycles down/up. If you care, anti-squat/dive numbers will also be all over the place through the suspension cycle. IIRC, ridiculous negative numbers will result. Physically, I'm not sure what the IRL impact is of a negative number in the millions is - the number is a fallout of the equation that is used and I have not ever made an effort to re-derive the equations to see if the assumptions are even valid for that configuration.

Like everything in suspension design, it is all a game of compromises for your specific usage care. low and slow bagged cruising != slow crawling != desert racing.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,421 Posts
You get dramatic pinion angle change. In 07 Rancho did it for their first JK long arms. Skyjacker used to do it for the 99 to 04 super duty front end. Seems to be more popular of a mud truck/tractor pull suspension than rock crawling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.