Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experimented wilh alternative methods for keeping oil in a front differential with a bad seal? I'm trying to avoid having to completely disassemble my front end to change seals.

I was thinking liquid polyurathain or some type of oil proof expandable foam to seal the tubes. Any suggestions?

·
blatant asshole
11,834 Posts
how is that going to seal when the turning shaft passing through?

tube end seals, theyve made them for forever for the d30/d44 for your xj.
theyve made them for regular d44 and d60s for at least 5 years now.

not expensive, only need to pull the axle shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how is that going to seal when the turning shaft passing through?

tube end seals, theyve made them for forever for the d30/d44 for your xj.
theyve made them for regular d44 and d60s for at least 5 years now.

not expensive, only need to pull the axle shaft.
No. I press those in from inside the housing. You dont want to press all that shit in there. It's quite a bit more involved than jerking my shaft. My application requires complete disassembly to chance the seals. That is unless, I could fill the tube with a material that expanded wile it cured, also would need some flexibility to compensate for shaft run out.

·
blatant asshole
11,834 Posts
no, the STOCK seals go in from the diff.

the after market go into the axle tube and stay at the end of the housing next to the ujoint.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, the STOCK seals go in from the diff.

the after market go into the axle tube and stay at the end of the housing next to the ujoint.
No. In most all modern steering axle applications you want the axle seal ASS close to the carrier bearings as possible to compensate for things like steering axis inclination(shaft runout)

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
The thread title is "bad inner axle seal" not pink, teeny weeny dirt seals. Besides, nothing like would fit my application.
So then quit being a puss and pull the carrier and shafts and do it the right way. Your asking about some ghetto spray foam fix when its not that much work to do it the right way.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The thread title is "bad inner axle seal" not pink, teeny weeny dirt seals. Besides, nothing like would fit my application.
Did you actually click on the link he posted? He's spoon feeding you exactly what you're asking for. Jesus man.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I was thinking liquid polyurathain or some type of oil proof expandable foam to seal the tubes. Any suggestions?
I would not ever want to have to clean something like that out and if I ever bought an axle that had something like that in there I would hunt down the person I bought it from and throat-punch them.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
great stuff. 1 can per side No need to pull the axles, just place nozzle in the axle tube. Best results from filling from the top, and letting it gravity fill the tube. Allow 24hrs to cure and rock on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Some of the above posts are getting funny...

To add to the OP's line of thought after he cleans out the expandable foam idea, how are you guys cleaning the inside of the axle tubes? Do you even? The previous owner of my current D60 must have used his truck as a swamp machine or old logging truck, because the inside of the axle tubes are nasty filthy. I'd hate to put one of those bad ass inner axle seals from Ruff Stuff just to install it into a dirty tube.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Delrin sleeve for the entire length of the axle tube. Added bonus is it wont allow the shaft to deflect when twisting:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Some of the above posts are getting funny...

To add to the OP's line of thought after he cleans out the expandable foam idea, how are you guys cleaning the inside of the axle tubes? Do you even? The previous owner of my current D60 must have used his truck as a swamp machine or old logging truck, because the inside of the axle tubes are nasty filthy. I'd hate to put one of those bad ass inner axle seals from Ruff Stuff just to install it into a dirty tube.

Disassemble the axle and use a pressure washer from the inside

1 - 20 of 34 Posts