Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I pulled my rear apart last week, to put in an e-locker. When I was putting it back togeather, I noticed that one of the bearings on the axle shaft could be moved rather easily. Then when I was torquing the 4 bolts the hold the assembly in, it seemd a few of the studs had stripped. Hoping that everything would fix itself :rolleyes:, i put it back togeather. Today, I was drivng around, and noticed that there was a wirring noise coming from that side of the truck. My question is, is the bearing shot, or does it just need to be pressed back in. Also, could the stripped studs have something to do with this, and how hard is it to fix?

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
You expect the stripped studs to heal themselves? :)

Pull it back apart. Fix it. The noise will go away...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Self help

A rear axle bearing should not move around at all. The bearing itself is about a -.0005 interferance fit, the collar is about a -.002 fit. Pressing the bearing off could take anywhere from 10 to 25,000 lbs. These are ballpark numbers. The bearing should be absolutely tight, and installing it will not, and will never make it tighter. And I agree with another response, stripped studs will not self heal, never have, never will. If the stipped knurling allows the bolts to come loose, then your axle can pull out from where it is supposed to be. This could be a problem? do ya think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts