Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Sits in a 2001 Silverado HD 2500 with only 16,000 miles on her.

What could it fetch / i don't have experience with a 496cid Vortec block.

Seriously good deal here? Clean longbed in white with super low miles. No other options besides the 8.1L which i believe WAS an option in Chev HD's before it was dropped in 2009. It made Class A motorhomes happy for roughly a decade..?

Dad's got a 2500 at the house, dually flatbed with that motor. It fuckin scoots, even with ~700 gallons of gas on the bed.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
Good to know. I'm running around in a 454 gasser with the 4L80E and i love it. Don't know which auto this 01 has.
my buddy has an 01 suburban 2500 with the 8.1
It has the 4l80.

it's a monster. I drove it a bit when my junk broke down in his neck of the woods getting parts.
Tons of power, but if you get rowdy you can watch the fuel gauge go down.

at that kind of price I'd not hesitate.
The only issue he's had out of his was a fuel pump that failed at 150K or somewhere around there. His is 2wd.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The bad about them, GM did not make enough of them. Also it is too hard to find one with a 6spd manual. I wish I could find an 8.1 ccsb 4x4 with 6spd manual.

Also i have read somewhere where some of the early 8.1 trucks did not have the allison. Im not sure of that, but you might check when you look underneath.

·
Registered
22,077 Posts
Buddy of mine had one in a CJ-7 back in Ohio. On tons, running 42s, it was a beast of a rig.
Did he sell it here on Pirate? Could have sworn I saw something similar in the classifieds a while back.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
If you're buying it for the mileage on the truck, try and verify it really only has 16k miles.

Those gauge clusters are notorious for needing stepper motors and a lot of guys just swap the cluster for a used one and the used mileage is what stays. There's no other mileage storage but in the cluster sadly, the BCM mileage reflects what it reads form the cluster.

A carfax might show if it's been in for service before and corroborate the mileage.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had an '01 2500HD crew cab since new. It was lifted with 37's. I traded it in a year and a half ago on a dodge 3500HD crew cab. It only had 61,000 on it. The dealer offered me $7,000. I called a cousin that was interested and said if he wanted it he could have it for the same price. He said yeah, but that he didn't have the money. I said no money, no truck, and took the trade. A week later the dealership called him (because he had be looking) and told him about a clean '01 lifted truck that only had 61,000 on it(mine). They said they would let it go for $17,000. I was pissed.

The engine was awesome for a gasser. Had a ton of torque, and the Allison trans is hard to beat. The allison prior to '05 was a 5 speed. After it was a 6 speed. As mentioned, mileage wasn't great, but otherwise no complaints. There was some recall problem on the early ones, and the marine engines because the were burning oil.

It sounds like a good deal to me, though I would question the mileage. The mileage is stored in the computer, not the cluster.

·
Registered
66,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Also i have read somewhere where some of the early 8.1 trucks did not have the allison. Im not sure of that, but you might check when you look underneath.
Would love to but i won't be able to do a visual on the truck before the purchase. I know it's a steal for $6k or even 7k - however - sight unseen i can't see going that far up with an offer because i can't inspect the truck in person unfortunately.

If you're buying it for the mileage on the truck, try and verify it really only has 16k miles.

Those gauge clusters are notorious for needing stepper motors and a lot of guys just swap the cluster for a used one and the used mileage is what stays. There's no other mileage storage but in the cluster sadly, the BCM mileage reflects what it reads form the cluster.

A carfax might show if it's been in for service before and corroborate the mileage.
A reputable online seller has it, so their reputation is at great risk if they offer something like this with non-corroborated mileage, i presume. I've bought from them before, just never into the thousands. I doubt i can verify over the phone for example, what trans it has and any indicators that the cluster has been swapped. All this info (lack thereof) is tantamount to my offer being for 'as-stated' just as their offering the truck is, as stated.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about what transmission it has- even if its just a 4L80 it would still be fairly bulletproof in that truck.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
so, I looked it up, because it's not hard to find that truck ;)

popped the VIN number into the parts website and got results for allison and 4l80.

so apparently you get whatever the general was putting in trucks that day.

here's what the vin decoder says
VIN ************
Vehicle Accidents/Service Get Vehicle History Report NOW
Year 2001 Engine Type 8.1L V8 OHV 16V
Make Chevrolet Driveline rear-wheel drive
Model Silverado 2500HD Ground Clearance 7.50 in.
Trim Level LS Reg. Cab 2WD Front Brake Type Disc
Manufactured In UNITED STATES Rear Brake Type Disc
Body Style REGULAR CAB PICKUP 2-DR Anti-Brake System 4-Wheel ABS
Transmission 5-Speed Manual Overdrive or
5-Speed Automatic Overdrive or
4-Speed Automatic Overdrive or
6-Speed Manual Overdrive
Standard Seating 3
MPG Hwy miles/gallon Optional Seating 2
MPG City miles/gallon Tires 245/75R16
Dealer Invoice $21,360 USD Wheelbase 133.00 in.
MSRP $24,411 USD Curb Weight 4846 lbs
vin removed to make it at least somewhat difficult to fidnd it again, but seriously it took me like five minutes.
So I'd say you want to HGTD if you don't want some asshole here poaching it
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
66,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
so, I looked it up, because it's not hard to find that truck ;)

popped the VIN number into the parts website and got results for allison and 4l80.

so apparently you get whatever the general was putting in trucks that day.

here's what the vin decoder says

vin removed to make it at least somewhat difficult to fidnd it again, but seriously it took me like five minutes.
So I'd say you want to HGTD if you don't want some asshole here poaching it
dicknose :laughing:

Yeah it only shows EVERY trans offered.

60E
65E
70E
80E
85E
M74
A1000

·
Registered
66,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
well be a little more vague the next time.

+50 internets for rehosting the photo.
-100 internets for giving location and exact odo reading.

I am seriously not trippin at all. Don't want to announce to the world et al but pirate isn't part of the world, honestly. Very much unknown how high anyone else is willing to risk but - at that starting offer it WILL get sold and if it sold for base offer and it wasn't me that got it? Well... that would just suck now wouldn't it.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts