Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The last of the big gas engines and from my experience better that the V10 Dodge and Ford..And pulls better that any of the current gas engines..

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
I bought my 2001 GMC new with the Allison and the 8'1.

Strong motorpulls hard.

So far I have replaced a Fan clutch, and the 10 foot + cable to the starter.

No replacement cam sensors are availble, seem GM switched to a different style in 02', Raylar has a fix that includes a new style sensor, a new cam gear , and a new timing cover, ( I still have the stock one in there with no problems so far).

Crank sensor requires a double jointed midget to change and if you mess it up removing you will be dropping the pan to remove the broken part. Dealer replaced mine under warranty.

Grease fitting on top of steer idler will cost you a new idler if not seviced.

10 mpg empty or towing,

The shift mapping in tow haul sucks, In tow mode, down hill, stomp the brake and the Allison will down shift 2 gears, tach jumps to 4k right rear wheel tries to lock up and gets scetchy real quick pulling the car hauler with a rig on it.

Love the truck I have decided to keep it as long as I can, New shit way too expensive and I don't need a coal roller'....

·
Registered
66,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
well I'd not touch a early 2000 gm product with your lips, so I guess we're all safe.

enjoy your rattling apart interior and steering that wears out in 60k.
:flipoff2:
I bought my 2001 GMC new with the Allison and the 8'1.

Strong motorpulls hard.

So far I have replaced a Fan clutch, and the 10 foot + cable to the starter.

No replacement cam sensors are availble, seem GM switched to a different style in 02', Raylar has a fix that includes a new style sensor, a new cam gear , and a new timing cover, ( I still have the stock one in there with no problems so far).

Crank sensor requires a double jointed midget to change and if you mess it up removing you will be dropping the pan to remove the broken part. Dealer replaced mine under warranty.

Grease fitting on top of steer idler will cost you a new idler if not seviced.

10 mpg empty or towing,

The shift mapping in tow haul sucks, In tow mode, down hill, stomp the brake and the Allison will down shift 2 gears, tach jumps to 4k right rear wheel tries to lock up and gets scetchy real quick pulling the car hauler with a rig on it.

Love the truck I have decided to keep it as long as I can, New shit way too expensive and I don't need a coal roller'....
Thanks both of you. It's these reasons i'm not too terribly smitten with the 01 vs truckin down the road in my obd1 454 and 4L80E. As it is for all intents really serviceable / reliable as shit / 9 towing 11 empty / strong fucker / i'm the 2nd owner.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
my father in law has an 01 1500, bought new. 4.8L 4l60.

the drivetrain has been solid, I wouldn't worry about that shit. GM can build an auto that doesn't self destruct as long as you're not dumb.
his has like 30K miles on it right now. Interior rattles.
it had a cluster under warranty and a set of stepper motors out of warranty. New stepper motors seem to have fixed it permanent like.

his steering is still tight, but the idler setup that GM uses brings teh suck. Of course you have that on your current one probably.

honestly if yo ucan score the 8.1 cheap enough that you can flip your 454 and be into it right, even I'd probably drive it and live with the interior needing maintenance.

edit: and WTF is with the offset steering wheel? that shit annoys me.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
LARRY on ck5 has an entire thread dedicated to anything you could ever want to know about the 8.1 engines.

·
Registered
66,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I don't have any issues with my 454 / 2500 and really, never have.

Replaced water pump at 110k / brake booster at 120k / tensioner at 130k / not a damned thing else. Currently residing at 136k and i just towed 1500 miles on it 3 weeks ago.

I've put 32,000 on it with one tune up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 02 Gmc 2500hd rclb 4wd with the 8.1 with a 6 speed manual and I love it! Great truck to drive just gets thirsty when your towing a trailer. I plan on keeping it for a long time, new trucks are just to damn expensive.

·
Registered
22,077 Posts
10 mpg empty or towing,
Yep.

Also, my FIL has it in a 2500 extra cab long bed 4x4 all stock and my best friend had it in the exact same truck but lifted 6" with 35's and got the same.

The 10mpg doesn't really change unless you are towing near max payload or a lot of mountain driving/towing.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I had an 01 with the 8.1, the dealer replaced the crank sensor under warranty. On occasion I would have to add a quart of oil in between oil changes. Those were about the only two issues I had with the truck.
someone last page said it takes 8qt

you didn't really have to add a qt, they include 3 extra in the pan. :p

·
Registered
333 Posts
Had one in an 03 extended cab 2500 4x4 work truck (cross bed & rail tool boxes and I love/miss it. It have the Allison transmission. Like said previously, used half of a quart or more of oil between changes as it got older, gas mileage for be was between 9 & 12. (9 if towing a 7500lbs chipper). Had lots of pull, I would drive between Flagstaff & Phoenix (5000ft+ elevation change, up and down through valleys) and it would only down shift once each direction with the cruise set at 75. It towed very well and I miss it when I tow with my 2013 F250 with the 6.2 and 6spd tranny. The only big issue we had with the truck was the dashes (all 4 of them in the our pool) died out once and were sent if for repairs and never had issues again.

·
Registered
66,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
From Wiki;

Vortec 8100

L18

The Vortec 8100 L18 was a V8 truck engine. It was a redesigned Chevrolet Big-Block engine and was introduced with the 2001 full-size pickup trucks. It had an all-iron engine (block and heads) with two valves per cylinder. It retained the same bore diameter as the old 7.4 L Big-Blocks, but the stroke was upped by 9.4 mm (0.37 in) to reach 8.1L (496cuin), for a total of 107.95 mm (4.25 in) bore and 111 mm (4.37 in) stroke. Power output ranged from 340 hp (254 kW) to 550 hp (410 kW),[citation needed] and torque from 455 lb·ft (617 N·m) to 690 lb·ft (936 N·m).

Other important differences between the Vortec 8100 and older Big Blocks include a changed firing order (1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3), a new 18-bolt head bolt pattern, longer connecting rods, different symmetrical intake ports, different oil pan rails and the use of metric threads throughout the engine. The fuel-injection system for the Vortec 8100 is nearly identical to that used on Gen III engines, right down to the fuel and spark tables in the ECU.

Vortec 8100s were built at GM's Tonawanda Engine plant. The last L18 was manufactured in December 2009.
L18 applications

The Vortec 8100 was the engine used in the largest U-haul, their 26-foot (7.9 m) truck. GM also sold the Vortec 8100 to Workhorse (now a division of Navistar), making it one of the most popular engine choices in gas powered Class A motorhomes during the first decade of this century. GM stopped installing Big Block V-8's in the Silverado HD trucks when the GMT-800 series was discontinued in 2007.

Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 2500HD & 3500HD (option)
Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL (option)
Chevrolet Express 3/4 or 1 ton
Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 (std on GMT800 2500)
Chevrolet Kodiak
Workhorse Class A motorhomes.
T-98 Kombat armored vehicles.
U-Haul's 26-foot (7.9 m) truck.
Malibu Boats, e.g. Wakesetter.

It was only an OPTION on the 2500/3500 HS series and i bet the 1500HD could have it ordered...

61 - 80 of 107 Posts