Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I bought an 01 Suburban with the 8.1/4L80E back in March.

Then, in April, I bought a 35' Forrest River Wildwood camp trailer.

In July, I spent 17 days pulling said 35' camper to Colorado and back with the wife, four dogs, two boys, and a household worth of stuff.

I LOVE the 8.1.

We got between 5.15-6.35 mpg, setting the cruise from 60-80 mph. It's not made for mileage. It's made to pull 12000 pounds across I70 in a timely fashion. The mountains were never an issue, and at no point did I feel as if we were asking more of the truck than we should.

Our last day in Colorado, we were leaving Montrose for Ouray to hit the hot springs. Just cruising along when she went to limp mode. Once we got through the day, we found that it was throwing a TPS code. I'll shorten the story by saying that it now has a new TPS, Throttle body, Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, Throttle motor, pigtail at the TPS, and reflashed computer.

I love the 'burb. I love the engine. Fly-by-wire can bite my ass.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Strange...when you try to build a Silverado 1500 on GM's catalog (at least for the 2002 MY), 6.0 is the biggest engine option...same with Alldata. Musta been a special build.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'd be interested to see that because I have a hard time believing GM would put the 8.1 in a 1500HD. I'm wondering if someone swapped the 1500HD badge on a 2500.
I don't know. Maybe it was originally some one off special order. He bought it used around 2004, I have no idea what year it is but it's the 01 rounded front end body style not the later batman looking front end. Ive driven it a few times, here's what I know for fact-
- It's 8.1L/4L80E
- It's a 4 door HD chassis
- It has 1500 badges
- It sits 1-2" lower than my 05 2500 (both are 4x4)
- Rides quite a bit better than my 05 2500

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
If you're buying it for the mileage on the truck, try and verify it really only has 16k miles.

Those gauge clusters are notorious for needing stepper motors and a lot of guys just swap the cluster for a used one and the used mileage is what stays. There's no other mileage storage but in the cluster sadly, the BCM mileage reflects what it reads form the cluster.

A carfax might show if it's been in for service before and corroborate the mileage.
It is stored elsewhere. When I was working at a Chevy dealer back in the early 2000's, a wrecker company had a fleet of trucks and they had "figured out" how to not run up miles. The true mileage was stored in 2 places. When they kept bringing these same trucks in that hardly racked up miles, we checked and found the real mileage as well as how they fooled the cluster and one of the computers into not recording mileage. It was really simple. We handed it off the Service Manager and he got GM involved. I don't know what happened from there, but they never came in for any more warranty work! :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
So, is this worth $6k

3/4 ton longbed, atx, 2001, 16,671 miles.

Saw one just like this this week @ the track, was real clean white even like that, lowered, on e85 and shooting a bunch of nitrous, running low 12's... looked pretty mean. I noticed it b/c it was an 8.1L.... crew of Mexi's running it but they seemed pretty cool (IK, irrelevant, but.... :flipoff2:)

edit: The 8.1 was in a 1/2 ton.... fairly sure of that, that's why it caught my eye even being a chevy dummy.

edit2: It had the :correct: I think "buldge" hood/badging/etc...

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
So 1 other thing my 2001 had issues with was the the oil cooler lines, I starting using close to 2 quarts of oil between 3k changes. Then i noticed some oil film on the frnt of my rear axle I expected pump rub wear through in the tcase housing. could not find any thing at the tcase, noticed the oil cooler lines between the block and radiator were wet, changed those lines and they absolutely fucking suck to change, my oil consumption dropped back to 3/4 of a quart between changes. These lines typically only leak when under pressure, never left a drop on the driveway.

Thanks for the k5 link...

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
So 1 other thing my 2001 had issues with was the the oil cooler lines, I starting using close to 2 quarts of oil between 3k changes. Then i noticed some oil film on the frnt of my rear axle I expected pump rub wear through in the tcase housing. could not find any thing at the tcase, noticed the oil cooler lines between the block and radiator were wet, changed those lines and they absolutely fucking suck to change, my oil consumption dropped back to 3/4 of a quart between changes. These lines typically only leak when under pressure, never left a drop on the driveway.

Thanks for the k5 link...
you know, I'm pretty sure that my buddy just had to do those as well.

shit though, the mere fact that it's a gas motor with an oil cooler should say something.

I'll be watching to see what he bids on this pile.
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
you know, I'm pretty sure that my buddy just had to do those as well.

shit though, the mere fact that it's a gas motor with an oil cooler should say something.

I'll be watching to see what he bids on this pile.
Why? Hi-po gas engines sometimes use oil coolers. BOSS mustangs 12-13' that were meant for open road course duty came with factory oil coolers. Standard GT's do not have but can be retrofitted with one. Not sure I understand the link there. Factory Auto Tacoma's with tow package have an oil cooler. Most police package/severe duty rated factory vehicles, have oil coolers....

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Why? Hi-po gas engines sometimes use oil coolers. BOSS mustangs 12-13' that were meant for open road course duty came with factory oil coolers. Standard GT's do not have but can be retrofitted with one. Not sure I understand the link there. Factory Auto Tacoma's with tow package have an oil cooler. Most police package/severe duty rated factory vehicles, have oil coolers....
thus meaning it was intended for severe duty.

thanks for answering the question.

are you just going to follow me around the board today swinging from my nuts?

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
thus meaning it was intended for severe duty.

thanks for answering the question.

are you just going to follow me around the board today swinging from my nuts?
Not at all, Just about to hit the road actually. seems like we are the only two active at the moment....

edit: usually I argue with multiple people and spread the hate out. since it is only you, it seems like I'm picking on you this morning. It is NOT the case :emb: :beer:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I never heard anyone down rate a truck engine for having an oil cooler...87manche is just talking shit because he's jealous :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
TLDr,

I'm not going to diss the truck- I hear how great they are all the time from the nutswingers wanting them. They cannot compare to any modern diesel for towing. period. But with that said, I would buy that truck for my lot. All day long. At either price you mentioned. It is worth around 10K here in bumfukkansas. There are plenty of farmers out here looking for them. Hell, I have a customer that has me looking for a wrecked burb to pull an 8100/alllison out of for an old 50something pickup. This truck would be perfect for that.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
you really are retarded today.

My comment was that an oil cooler is a good thing to have on a heavy duty truck motor.
just today? :flipoff2:

I looked back, the post of yours I looked @ I misinterpreted your thoughts on the oil cooler, I originally thought you stated it was a bad thing/flaw....

Hey AdChev4x4 thought so too :flipoff2::flipoff2:

So I'm not the only retarded one :flipoff2:

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
just today? :flipoff2:

I looked back, the post of yours I looked @ I misinterpreted your thoughts on the oil cooler, I originally thought you stated it was a bad thing/flaw....

Hey AdChev4x4 thought so too :flipoff2::flipoff2:

So I'm not the only retarded one :flipoff2:
normally I give you the benefit of the doubt, but you're coming on strong today.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
you know, I'm pretty sure that my buddy just had to do those as well.Implied meaning...they are faulty/poor design/fail all the time...

shit though, the mere fact that it's a gas motor with an oil cooler should say something. Here's where I fucked up... I misinterpreted you meant this was bad because of previous statement then the following statement

I'll be watching to see what he bids on this pile. More negativity about the vehicle/one with oil coolers
Clarify any?

I never heard anyone down rate a truck engine for having an oil cooler...87manche is just talking shit because he's jealous :flipoff2:
I didn't imagine this? :confused: (someone else thought the same)

normally I give you the benefit of the doubt, but you're coming on strong today.
I still get benefit of the doubt dammit :flipoff2:

No, there's always Nardcock.
I'm not nearly as dumb as that blithering fool.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts