Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally get my v8 ranger running good. Gonna take it for a test run. When I put it in drive I can drive it at very low RPMs. If I give it any gas to try to go it shudders real bad and wont go anywhere. It feels like a very bad vibration. It bogs down the motor and wont move unless I let the rpms go very low 1000-1500. Once I get it rolling it goes OK until I give it more gas. It is a C4 trans on a 302 motor. Does this sound like something is wrong with the torque converter? Weird thing is that when it ran like crap I had no trans issues when just moving it around the yard. FYI it ran like crap cause it was way out of time and it needed a new carb which I took care of. Any ideas???

·
Registered
51 Posts
what does it do in reverse?has anything been done to the trans?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I will look into it....I thought the vacuum modulator would only affect shift points tho?...I cant get the truck going fast enough where it would need to shift....just a little more info....If I drive the truck down a hill it doesnt happen as bad. I can get the rpms up a little higher but i cant step on the gas or it does that shuddering.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Thanks I will look into it....I thought the vacuum modulator would only affect shift points tho?...
Thats what I thought too, but I've bad ones do some funky things. But auto's really aren't in my realm of total expertise so I was just throwing the thought out there...

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Thanks I will look into it....I thought the vacuum modulator would only affect shift points tho?...I cant get the truck going fast enough where it would need to shift....just a little more info....If I drive the truck down a hill it doesnt happen as bad. I can get the rpms up a little higher but i cant step on the gas or it does that shuddering.
If you're not going fast enough for it to shift then thats not it. I ran mine unplugged for awhile and all that sucked was you had to shift it manually.

Low on fluid?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fluid is fine..nice and red not burnt or nothing..my friend that builds trannys is coming to check it out today Ill let you guys know what he says.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my friend checked it out and he thinks its got nothing to do with tranny. He feels something is wrong with the distributor and under load a few of the cylinders have no spark causing what i called a shudder. The distributor is a chevy style HEI that the previous owner just slapped on. I ordered a new distributor and hope that does it. Any thoughts???
FYI...at first he thought it may have been a fuel issue but after dumping gas into the carb and this still happening he now thinks distributor.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think its a vacuum leak. If the HEI fires for 1 cylinder, it should fire for all 8. When you install the new dizzy, make sure the #1 pole is lined up on the TDC of #1 cylinder compression stroke. I suppose you/they knew the Ford cylinders are numbered 1 through 4 on the p-side, and 5 through 8 on the d-side unlike the GM/Mopar odd/even way, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts