Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
That's VERY impressive. It shows the true strength of the toyota tcase.

A few weeks ago a guy I was with an Atlas broke the front ouput and he runs a Ranger/5.0 and 35's!!!..........

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Is that at Rausch?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Nice and clean break! Looks like a mild rig and trail too... NOT!
Good job convertiyota! Someday we will wheel together, if I can ever get out of the shop again! Have heard lots about you. :) All good, of course! :)

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Get some, guy!
that is quality snappage:cool:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
you on rockwells, mossy on 44 boggers and dana 70's, rockstomper on 44's and 60/9'', what breaks after you guys put the fancy output in??

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frank, that was at Big Dogs last weekend, the last obstacle of the day on Saturday. I think they call it Don's Ledge.

Bud, I'm looking forward to it. Do you get up to Paragon often? The break was VERY clean. You can run your finger across both sides and not feel a single ridge.

Booger, hopefully the 1310s in my front driveshaft. I sure as hell don't want my output shaft to be the weak link.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
you on rockwells, mossy on 44 boggers and dana 70's, rockstomper on 44's and 60/9'', what breaks after you guys put the fancy output in??
Nothing :cool:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
thats what i understood, but he thought it was maybe flawed. AP stood behind that. pm him, this is just what he told me.....

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I've broken two AP shafts.

First one was in competition, abused, and broke near the rear output flange. I still had front wheel drive, but the rear driveshaft fell out. I was able to drive the truck to the rest of the obstacles, and back onto the trailer, in front wheel drive.

Second one was shortly after competition--I broke a link in my suspension, and the pinion wrapped up bad, and the shaft broke. I don't know what order or cause.

The first one broke with the 22R, with the valves floating, with all four spinning madly, on 44's, after climbing about 5-6 vertical feet up a 60-degree-ish wall, and sliding back down. With the valves floating, the rear tires hit the ground, and the shaft blew.

The second one broke a couple weeks after I danced the truck on one rear wheel in Cedar, on the rev limiter, on 44's, with Chris Geiger watching (and, I get the impression, cringing) and waiting for something to explode.

I now have a third AP main in; I've had no issues with it, but it hasn't seen competition abuse. I honestly think, after seeing what happened to the case during/after the first break, and what else happened nearby during the second break, that you're not going to get a stronger shaft physically into the Toyota case. I think they've done everything they can reasonably do, within the constraints of that case (and I've looked at changing the case, too) to make it as bulletproof as possible.

I have a few thoughts as to that the second one may have been partially caused by the shock load involved in driveshaft bind when the pinion racked up--the gear steel used in the shaft is better, torsionally, than the stock shaft (of which I've also broken a few) but it's more brittle. So as long as you're careful to give it torque only, and not crossload it violently, it should last indefinitely. I really think it was probably the cross load, not the torque load, that caused me problems.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Paul... you were there for the last run on the 9" rear... it's now an Eaton hybrid.

And as for what breaks next... front 35 spline 60's, 1350 U-joints, and driveshaft weld yokes and U-bolts. :) But I think I've done more damage to my chassis than to anything else... it's time to fire up the bender again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts