Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did the monies ever get paid to those who competed in Bajarocks?

just curious.. this kinda died down sorta quick. it seemed like a
lot of money.

stories to be told?

--Sherpa

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Nobody has been paid yet. But he did say it would be a couple weeks out, so we shall see....

What do you want to know? There has been some good talk about the event on the board. It was a blast! I had a lot of fun, and would definitely do it again.

Photos here

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what would I want to know....... hmmmmmmm..... well,

what the hell did you go to a hospital to have them "fix" your

butt? that's the 64-dollar question...... glad you had fun Lance.

Kelly towers above the little-army guy in the pic! so what's the

next big event-? hopefully something a bit closer to norcal..!

--Sherpa

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Superranger,

thanks for the link. I read the whole thing.

a few things I thought of before this event even happened.

1) Mexican policia are corrupt.

2) ALOT of mexicans will do almost anything to get something
without paying for it.

3) without american/english speaking officials, could this work?

4) without english/spanish speaking staff, how would anything
get done? and still make any money?

--Sounds like an "experience" for all. lessons learned. some the
hard way it sounds.

I kinda like the "food vendors" part of the story.... kinda
funny actually.

those are some creative folks down there..........

--Sherpa

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
The story written by Eddie really is accurate from my POV...there were a lot of sad things that happened at the contest, but many of those things were only increased by spreading gossip and rumours. Although the event sounds like a horror story, I really enjoyed myself and can't say enough about the sportsmanship and friendship of the competitors and US based judges.
I applaud Dan, Eddie and the others involved for taking the huge risk of doing a foreign contest with little resources to begin with...I hope in the end, it will be something positive for everyone.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Never, NEVER underestimate the Latin American cultural tendency to try to get something for nothing. It's a state of mind, as deep a part of our culture as the political corruption we inherited from Spain and the Moorish occupation. This goes from the highest echelons of government to the simplest folk, and the organizers at Baja Rocks should have anticipated it. Tough lesson, but hopefully they will be fully prepared for next time, if there's a next time. FWIW, kudos to the three competitors who didn't take their prize money so that all the competitors got to take home a bigger share, that's a class act all the way!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well I had a blast! I didn't really go down for the money anyway. What can be better than meeting 100 rockcrawling buddies in Cabo. Some I just met and some I've know for awhile. It can't be better than that. Dan had a lot of hell. Most of the competitors saw it first hand. That's why we all are so understanding. We need Dan to bring this to the US. He would have so much more help. Instead of all the broken promises he had down there. They stole from him like crazy. If I ever get my money dosn't really matter to me. I had a lot of fun. Breaking so early sucked but it was still fun drinking some brew and watching. My only regret was Squid Roe! That place kicked my butt twice. And a few other rockcrawlers. Jello shots are bad news!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Found this on another site. Maybe he's gotta sell it so people can get paid?

1999 Red TJ- Custom ROCK CRAWLER built from the showroom floor. Official Staff Jeep for 1st International Bajarocks 2003 Rock Crawling Championship, Cabo San Lucas, MX. 16K original miles, Over $65K invested, Sell $27K. 700R auto Tranny w/OD,Art Car Shifter,NP231 T-Case w/ 4:1 low gears and 2 wheel low,Currie Built 9" Axles front and rear w/ARBs, disc brakes front and rear, 488 Ring and Pinon,Custom long arm modifications to front and rear control arms for vertical climbs,Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks, 5-1/2 Rubicon Coil Spring Lift, 26 gal SS gas tank, ARB Bull Bar,WARN 9000 Winch,Currie Rear Tire Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire,Rock Gear Custom Reverse Convertible, factory soft top (ask me), Soft/Bikini Top,5 ea. Goodyear Experimental MTRs, 37" x 15" x 10 Tires,Champion Bead Lock Wheels,Full Roll Cage,Variety of Spare Parts and more. See photos and specs. www.bajarocks.com or call 303-679-7373 for showing.

·
40,288 Posts
Gotta say this much, anytime you can promise folks a LOT of money & fail to deliver in a timely manner, and STILL have folks willing to compete with you again, you must be doing SOMETHING right. I don't know if everyone would still be talking nice about me if I didn't come through with the $$$ after an event. And I wouldn't have the balls to try to do a big money event w/o having my finances in order in advance - which of course is impossible, so I'll probably never pull one off :( Too bad 'cause I've already got the whole fargin' thing planned (Anyone know a good promoter who'd like to make a LOT of $$$? LOL). Anyhow, glad everyone had a good time & hopefully things will get straightened out for the next one.

On a side note, I can't believe how many folks are quick to insinuate that the tactic of trying to get something for nothing is somehow unique to the Mexican culture. As one who worked directly with Mexicans who were really being taken advantage of by my employer, I found most of them to be very reliable & hard working - certainly the notion of hard physical labor didn't scare 'em like it would most Americans. Yeah, it's a different culture & "hurry" doesn't seem to translate into Spanish, but good people on the whole.
The vendors who set up shop w/o any permission are probably accustomed to being allowed to do that at most events. Indeed, I used to pass an entire neighborhood that technically was built illegally. But, that's the Mexican way. When regulations are rarely enforced, hard to expect anyone to follow them for long.

TEX

·
Registered
612 Posts
Coming from somebody who spends a lot of time in Mexico, nothing that was said suprised me in the least. I love Mexico but you have to understand the culture to enjoy the experience. It really sounds (if they didn't already) like they need to have an "advisor" on board that really knows Mexico and can guide them through all the crap.

·
Registered
734 Posts
TEX said:

On a side note, I can't believe how many folks are quick to insinuate that the tactic of trying to get something for nothing is somehow unique to the Mexican culture.
Since Dan Brown definitely is not Mexican, i guess that proves your theory :D. I find Dan highly amusing myself and I just wish I'd pulled together the cash to go, prizes or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts