Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some ideas for ballast for a rear engine buggy (front tires). Was wondering if anybody makes a valve to allow air to escape while water is filling. Also, any good ideas for removing the water completely without dismounting tire. I'm sure this has been discussed before but when I searched google I could not find anything. 39.5 iroks on WE beadlocks.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Get a star:flipoff2:

before somone else tells you.:flipoff2:

there is a valve you can get from any tractor store. Has the fitting for the valve stem and then the other side screws on the hose. There is an air bleeder valve on the valve that allows the air to escape while the water is going in.

AS far as getting the water out you are pretty limited to the height of the valve stem at the bottom of the tire. Without dismounting the tire you are always gonna have a hair of water in the bottom.

If you live in a cold climate where the water could freeze make sur eyou put a little antifreeze in or your stuff will drive like concrete. ASk me how I know.

Also use the bolt in vlave stems instead of the push in ones just incase something does freeze.

I've also heard of competitors using BB's and the like but have no experience with it.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
If you use metal ballast, the only way to get it in or out is by breaking down a bead.

If you're using water, you can simply put a second valve in the wheel, opposite the first... rotate till it's how high you want the water, take out the core, and fill from the first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for thel help. I am going to put a valve in opposite the first and fill from there.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Wait...read this...shit...the search is down. This topic was covered just a week ago and I wrote how we do it. I have twin valve stems...we don't use them as the air escapes faster than the water and the tire doesn't stay inflated enough to know the finished water level. A single valve is fine...it's the water fill device and method you use to do it that makes it work. Wait for the search function to come back online...I'm not typing it all again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dustin,
Thanks for the tip. I will wait to drill the wheels until I do some more research. If you come up with the thread, I would be interested in learning more about your method.

Thanks

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
ha, $8.25, seems this is the ticket. Link above.

That is the valve many people start out with but that is the one I was saying was a hassle. Screwing that on and off, especially in a beadlock, is a major PITA.
The search funtion is still not searching recent threads...bummer cause this was just covered.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the help. I already ordered the ag valve but I am going to assemble the setup that Dustin recomends and give it a shot as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question. If you use two valve stems do you put them 90 deg. apart, next to each other?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Doesn't really matter, just rotate the tire so one valve stem is at the proper fill level.

One hassle with the twin valves is to get accurate, you need to jack the tire off the ground so it doesn't squish with no PSI. Again, the single valve method with the tool I described is easier and faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts