Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have my boss convinced into buying a horizontal bandsaw. Right now the biggest I would be cutting is 6x6 square. What size and brand should I look into?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been really pleased with my Ellis 1600 however you need to decide what features you want in the saw, if coolant is important and what your budget is.

Ellis 1600:

- Quiet
- No Coolant Mess
- Extremely good accuracy
- Made in the USA
- Leeson Motor

I've had mine for over five years, no issues, no drama. Just good cuts all the time and very easy mitering capability.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
In my opinion we need more info to provide a correct suggestion.

Is this for an assembly line type deal where it's used 8hrs a day or multi-shifts ?

Is it used for near-precision cutting ?

Does it need to miter ?

Should it run itself or will it require human hands to complete the cut ?

More info you provide better suggestions we have :D

I really like my kama saw http://www.vansantent.com/stationary_bandsaw.htm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im thinking something with coolant.
Im the only welder there so this will only be used probably couple times a week. At times all day for a couple days while cutting out all my parts. I dont know if I can convince him to spend more than maybe $1500.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Im thinking something with coolant.
Im the only welder there so this will only be used probably couple times a week. At times all day for a couple days while cutting out all my parts. I dont know if I can convince him to spend more than maybe $1500.
Should be able to find some nice used commercial sized ones on CL for that price :D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Should be able to find some nice used commercial sized ones on CL for that price :D
Here's one about 100 miles away. RAMCO saw $700 If you don't need the swivel head, this would be a great saw IMO.

It doesn't have coolant. But after running the hell out of my 4x6 with no coolant on a 1/2" blade, I wouldn't hesitate to run a larger high quality blade without coolant. It will probably be a bigger necessity if you plan on cutting a lot of heavy solid sections.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Ramco RS90-P that I bought off CL a few years ago for $300 and I use the hell out of it. You could hook coolant back up to that saw pretty easily, just a small 120V pump and some tubing to carry the coolant. I think it came from the factory for use with coolant but it was probably taken off. I use Lenox blades from MSC since they have the size I need and I can get them shipped next day for no extra cost.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
x2 on the Hyd Mech, we have one of their verticals at work and it's a beast.

if you're looking used, I have ran nothing but Amada saws at 2 shops, they are pretty good saws.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Here's one about 100 miles away. RAMCO saw $700 If you don't need the swivel head, this would be a great saw IMO..
Maybe.......I had one of those that had, admittedly, been worked to death. Watch those Ramco's tho as they have a stamped table and mine had warped at the slot for the jaw slide. As such work NEVER sat level in there, and the clamping action was compromised from this, too. You could keep clamping tighter and tighter and watch everything flex.

I'd look for one with a cast table.

For what the OP describes, you might be plenty happy with a Vectrax or Enco 7x12...........figure between $650 and $850 depending upon sales. These aren't "industrial" level saws but a few times a week is not industrial use, even if you're using it all day. Keep the coolant going, the blade in good shape and the downfeed set properly, and you're not taxing the saw much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts